Hi David,

I have not seen this mmap error before, and my initial guess was the mmap error
is happening because you are trying to allocate more memory than we created
when mmap'ing the inputs for the applications (we do this to speed up SE mode,
because otherwise initializing arrays can take several hours).  However, the
fact that it is failing in physical.cc and not in the application itself is
throwing me off there.  Looking at where the failure is occurring, it seems the
backing store code itself is failing here (from such a large allocation).
Since the failure is with a C++ mmap call itself, that is perhaps more
problematic - is "Cannot allocate memory" the failure from the perror() call on
the line above the fatal() print?

Regarding the other question, and the failures more generally: we have never
tested with > 64 CUs before, so certainly you are stressing the system and
encountering different kinds of failures than we have seen previously.

In terms of applications, I had thought most/all of them passed previously, but
we do not test each and every one all the time because this would make our
weekly regressions run for a very long time.  You can see here:
https://gem5.googlesource.com/public/gem5/+/refs/heads/develop/tests/weekly.sh#176
 which ones we run on a weekly basis.  I expect all of those to pass (although
your comment seems to indicate that is not always true?).  Your issues are
exposing that perhaps we need to test more of them beyond these 3 - perhaps on
a quarterly basis or something though to avoid inflating the weekly runtime.
Having said that, I have not run LRN in a long time, as some ML people told me
that LRN was not widely used anymore.  But when I did run it, I do remember it
requiring a large amount of memory - which squares with what you are seeing
here.  I thought LRN needed -mem-size=32 GB to run, but based on your message
it seems that is not the case.

@Matt P: have you tried LRN lately?  If so, have you run into the same
OOM/backing store failures?

I know Kyle R. is looking into your other failure, so this one may have to wait
behind it from our end, unless Matt P knows of a fix.

Thanks,
Matt