On 8/5/2023 2:16 AM, Kaiwen Xue via gem5-users wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to gem5 and trying to follow the official tutorial [1] to
build an x86 opt target from commit hash 48b4788.

The compilation failed with Error 134. Outputs didn't seem to be
meaningful - they are just normal building messages and ended with
Error 134. I shall attach a detailed build output at the end of this
email.

The build command I used was `python3 `which scons`
build/X86/gem5.opt`. My python3 version is 3.8.10. My scons version is
3.1.2. I've checked all the other dependencies and they seem to be
fine. My machine is a physical server with ubuntu 20.04 running Linux
5.15.

In addition, every time I remove the built directory and rebuilt, the
file names before the Error 134 message are different. e.g., the
attached output has "scons: *** [build/X86/cpu/o3/O3Checker.py.cc]
Error 134", but the file name would different across different builds.

Is there a way to narrow down this issue?

Thanks!
Kevin

My guess is that you ran out of memory - some of the compilations need quite a
lot!  Since scons typically builds in parallel, you get some variation in
which jobs are running when.  You *might* try compiling just one thing at a
time (-j1).  No need to rm everything - you can continue where it aborted.
But still, if even one job demands too much memory, you will fail again.

If you're running in a virtual machine, increase its main memory size.  As I
recall, something like 5-6Gb are needed to build gem5.  Using somewhat more
than that won't hurt.

Best - EM