I concur with the uselessness of the bits.

However, I've heard some implementers who where talking about
implementing extra code/logic to try to match what they thought the
semantic of those bits was/should be/should have been...
This is adding complexity, brittleness and opening doors to all kind of
errors such as the ones Jim Calson pointed at.

So, maybe we should write a document: "M & O bits considered useless"
and close the topic.

   - Alain.