On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Scott Brim wrote:
that should be fixed before publication.

Thanks Scott,

Review:

This is very good.  Disregarding a few non-technical concerns about
presentation, I only have a couple of technical nits that the RFC
editor might not catch.  Since they are small I'm only sending this to
gen-art, author and AD.

2.1.1:

 Change "PIM-SSM" to "PIM-SM".

Not sure if I understand this comment. I guess you're referring to "xxx; PIM-SSM is a subset of PIM-SM." but I don't understand why SSM should be changed to SM. Yep, it's sometimes confusing that people use the term PIM-SSM to refer to the part of PIM-SM spec that's needed if you did only SSM, but I guess it can't be helped.

2.1.4:

 "Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol (DVMRP) [RFC1075]
 [I-D.ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3] [I-D.ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-as] was the first
 protocol designed for multicasting, and to get around initial
 deployment hurdles.  It also included tunneling capabilities which
 were part of its multicast topology functions."

   Is this supposed to be one sentence?  If not, I don't understand
   the end of the first sentence.

Oops, thanks for catching this. I think the last part of the sentence was intended to be the part of the next one but in editing it got inserted after the wrong line.

The text in my working copy now reads:

"... was the first protocol designed for multicasting. To get around initial deployment hurdles, it also included tunneling capabilities which were part of its multicast topology functions."