Hi Joel

Thanks for the quick reply and for sending the new comments!

We will try to resolve them, please see below:

On 3/17/2010, "Joel M. Halpern" <j...@joelhalpern.com> wrote:

>Most of these changes look very good, and address the issue I was raising.
>I have one request for further wordsmithing, one issue that I must have
>been unclear on because the correction, while useful, does not seem to
>address what I was trying to raises, and one question for clarification.

Georgios: Thank you!

>The wordsmithing:
>The proposed clarification of severe congestion reads:
> > Severe congestion: Is the congestion situation on a particular link
> > within the RMD domain where a significant increase in its real packet
> > queue situation occurs, when due to a link failure re-routed traffic
>
>I would like to ask, assuming that it matches your intention, that the
>"when due to a link failure" become "such as when due to a link failure".
>The reason I ask this is not so much that there are other causes (there
>are) as to put the emphasis on the congestion, rather than on the failure.

Georgios: We will provide this cahnge!

>I was apparently insufficiently clear about my interoperability concern.
>  You have written very nice text about what the operator must do.
>However, the concern is that with 6 schemes documents, implementors may
>not choose to support all the schemes.
>One solution is to mandate that all implementations MUST support all
>schemes.
>The more typical approach in the IETF is to pick one scheme (usually the
>default) and require that all implementations must support that.
>You can argue that operators will know what they want, and will buy
>devices that will interoperate using the scheme that the operator wants.
>  Based on experience, this is a bad bet.

Georgios: In order to solve this issue, I would like to propose the
following change in the modification that text we seny previously:

In Section 3.2.3 the folowing modification is proposed:

Chnage from:

However, all schemes MUST be implemented within one RMD domain. The
operator of an RMD domain MUST pre-configure all the QNE edge nodes
within one domain such that the <SCH> field included in the "PHR
container", see Section 4.1.2 and the "PDR Container", see section
4.1.3, will use always the same value, such that within one RMD domain
only one of the below described RMD-QOSM schemes can be used at a time.

INTO:

* However, only the "per flow RMD reservation based" in combination
  with "severe congestion handling by proportional data packet marking"
  scheme MUST be implemented within one RMD domain. If more RMD-QOSM
  schemes are implemented within one RMD domain then the operator of that
  RMD domain MUST pre-configure all the QNE edge nodes within one domain
  such that the <SCH> field included in the "PHR container", see Section
  4.1.2 and the "PDR Container", see section 4.1.3, will use always the
  same value, such that within one RMD domain only one of the below
  described RMD-QOSM schemes can be used at a time."

>The clarification is about the interaction of extant flows and
>reservations in the measurement scheme.  The problem is definitely
>ameliorated by the lack of refresh messages.
>However, if I understand the document properly, if the bandwidth
>changes, a new message will be send with only the new reservation
>amount.  But the observation (measurement) will actually include the
>existing traffic.  Thus, the existing traffic seems to be double-counted.

Georgios: I think that you are refering to Section 4.6.1.4. "RMD
modification of aggregated reservations". Please note that this section
applies only to the "per aggregate RMD reservation based" scheme.

In order to clarify this issue we will include the following sentence on
the bullets that are explaining the "per aggregate RMD reservation
based" scheme:

"This scheme can be considered to be a reservation-based scheme, since
the RMD interior nodes are reduced-state nodes, i.e., they do not
store NTLP/GIST states but they do store per PHB-aggregated QoS-NSLP
reservation states."

In section 4.6.1.4 we will want to inlcude the following sentence:

"This modification scheme applies only to the following two RMD-QOSM
schemes:

* "per aggregate RMD reservation based" in combination with
     "severe congestion handling by the RMD-QOSM refresh procedure"

* "per aggregate RMD reservation based" in combination with
     "severe congestion handling by proportional data packet marking"

Best regards,
Georgios