> In general, I think this document is describing the tools available to
> protocol designers, not telling protocol designers which tools to use.

Well, the original intent of this spec was to (simply, heh) specify how to match one's reference ID to the presented ID (tho we hadn't yet invented those terms) returned in the end-entity cert during TLS handshake, so protocol designers/specifiers didn't have to re-invent it (and do so differently) for each spec going forward.

So I'd characterize it as listing (and defining degrees-of-freedom of) the tools available (eg DNS-ID, SRV-ID, URI-ID, etc.), and then defining how to perform matching given the tool.

=JeffH