Francis,

Thanks for your review.  Responses inline.

spt

On 12/10/10 4:45 AM, Francis Dupont wrote:
I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at<
http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive.

Document: draft-turner-md5-seccon-update-07.txt
Reviewer: Francis Dupont
Review Date: 2010-12-06
IETF LC End Date: 2010-12-22
IESG Telechat date: unknown

Major issues:
  - IANA action is to change a field which doesn't exist

Paul Hoffman suggested that the IANA considerations be changed to "None." The hash algorithm textual name registry really ought to be updated by the folks who registered it not in this outlier document and without some context the values like "deprecated" (see next issue) really doesn't make any sense to stick in a registry.

FYI - the registry was updated in draft-turner-md2-to-historic - and there was NO way for you to know that (sorry about the confusion). I'm going to make that IANA consideration "None" too.

  - there is no consensus if the document should stress not-security uses
   of MD5 are perfectly fine or at the opposite the security label attached
   to MD5 raises practical issues so new uses of MD5 should be strongly
   discouraged or both are out of scope...

Yeah not sure how I'm going to "solve" this one. I'll propose some text and see what happens.

Minor issues: None

Nits/editorial comments:
  - 2.1 page 2: Psuedo ->  Pseudo

  - 2.1 page 3: 1.6 GHz. ->  1.6GHz (note: suggestion for removing the space,
   fix for the spurious '.' after an unit)

  - 2.3 page 3: (suggestion) H(IV,M). ->  H(IV, M).

Will fix up.

Regards

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr

PS: about 3:

    IANA is requested to update the md5 usage entry in the Hash Function
    Textual Names registry by replacing "COMMON" with "DEPRECATED".

I understand why the md5 is in lower case (it is the name of the entry)
but I can't find the usage field in the registry at:

As noted about, the registry was updated in another draft draft-turner-md2-to-historic. Making them "None" ought to solve this problem.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/hash-function-text-names/
hash-function-text-names.xhtml

PPS: my proposal for solving the two issues is:
  - give the first one to IANA (IANA has to address it anyway)
   (PS: in fact IANA already raised a question about this point!)
  - use the standard Last Call process for the second