On 1 March 2013 12:11, Francis Dupont <francis.dup...@fdupont.fr> wrote:
>  In your previous mail you wrote:
>
>>  > Minor issues:
>
> => BTW I received a side comment stating the document is too long
> and should be split into 3 parts (maths, mechanisms, application).
> Of course you may answer it is too late...

I do. Way too late. :-)

Also, I'd observe that increasing the number of documents will not
decrease the amount of reading.

>>  >  - section 2 is not enough accurate, for instance:
>>  >   * the critical [k1:k2] notation is introduced after its first use, IMHO
>>  >    it is the primary one, i.e., [n] is a short hand for [0:n]
>>
>>  Notation is rather tricky here, but I don't think that saying D[n] is
>>  shorthand for D[0:n] adds clarity. This is because D[k:n] becomes
>>  D[n-k] on recursion. Saying D[k:n] is the same as D[0:n-k] is just
>>  confusing (and, indeed, wrong).
>
> => I don't say D[k:n] is the same as D[0:n-k], just that D[0:n-k]
> is the same than D[n-k]. But this is a matter of taste and I have
> no good proposal to make this section very clear...
>
>>  >   * the largest power of two must be strictly smaller, not just smaller.
>>
>>  There is no difference between "strictly smaller" and "smaller" (in
>>  contrast to "decreasing" and "strictly decreasing").
>
> => it is a language problem: I leave it to native English speaker.

This was explained to me offlist. Certainly there is no problem in
English, but I understand other languages don't work as well. So, I
added mathematical notation for clarity.

>>  >  - 1 page 4: it is a general mechanism but what are its constraints at
>>  >   the exception of the intended usage. For instance is the mechanism
>>  >   applicable to any end entity public key certificate? or larger??
>>
>>  I don't know what this comment refers to.
>
> => you have a mechanism which can be applied to more than public TLS
> server certificates. IMHO it should be fine to put a few words about
> the technical (vs usage) scope of the mechanism. Note the term "general"
> before mechanism and the very limited scope are both at the end of
> the first paragraph of section 1.
>
>>  >  - 1 page 5: misbehaviours -> misbehaviors
>>  >   (and 3.3 page 16, and others too)
>>
>>  I am not American.
>
> => nor I am: I just applied an american English spell checker and
> reported what it considered as spelling errors. Note that RFCs are
> supposed to be written in american English (even it is not a strict
> rule at all), and what I did is a good practice when they are many
> authors from different countries (i.e., in the general case).

The style guide (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-style-guide/rfc-style)
says English.

>>  >  - 2.1.1 page 7 and 2.1.2 page 8: the wording "the length (k2 - k1) list"
>>  >   is IMHO a bit uncommon even I can understand it.
>>
>>  It's maths.
>
> => I am clearly under the Bourbaki's influence (i.e., maths should be
> written in the best possible wording :-).

I changed it anyway :-)

>>  >  - 2.1.4 page 10: using a key of at least 2048 bits. ->
>>  >   using a public key of at least 2048 bits. (or a modulus as it is for RSA
>>  ?)
>>
>>  The public and private keys are the same length in RSA (and the length
>>  is the length of the modulus).
>
> => as keys in RSA are not integers but tuples of integers they have
> no length by themselves. Now I agree the common meaning is what
> you say so I remove my comment (i.e., to be more accurate will be
> pedantic without a clear benefit).
>
>>  >  - 3 pages 13, 14, etc: what is the language used for ASN.1? It is not
>>  >   ASN.1 itself, nor C?
>>
>>  The format of certificates is defined elsewhere. The name ASN.1Cert
>>  (which is what I assume you refer to) is taken from RFC 5246.
>
> => oops, I missed the 1.2 where this was stated.
>
>>  >  - 3.1 page 13: parenthesis around 65535 are not necessary (i.e, they
>>  >   are insipid and stupid :-)
>>
>>  I love you, too.
>
> => I thought you know the LISP programming language acronym...
> (I was a LISP programmer so I know all jokes about LISP :-)

Heh. I always thought it was irritating, not insipid.

>>  In fact, they are required, see section 4.5 of RFC 5246.
>
> => I see. But in this case there are spurious 255 (not (255)
> as the default is one byte?). RFC 5246 uses (255) so
> I suggest to change all 255 at the end of enums into (255)
> *if* you have the opportunity to do this.

You are right, I will change them.

>>  > BTW if the document creates new OID perhaps they should be put
>>  > in an annex?
>>
>>  I am not aware of a requirement to do so.
>
> => nor I am (this is why I put a question mark)
>
>>  > PS: I noted there are still some LC comments in the ML.
>>
>>  I am not aware of any I have missed.
>
> => it was just a reminder to the LC comment statement
> at the beginning of the standard gen-art template, and
> an indication to other gen-art ML readers.

I see.

Thanks!