Ben Campbell wrote:
> -- 3.2, last paragraph:
>
> I'm still confused about how this is a bid down attack.
>
> [The author replied that, when secure and insecure packets are allowed from
> the same client, a
> malicious or broken client can choose the insecure one.  That's bad,
> when the intent is to use DTLS.]
>
> While I agree that's bad, I don't see how it qualifies as a bid-down attack.
> One assumes a malicious client already has access to the cleartext messages.
> Are we talking about an MiTM "client"? Are there attacks where a third party
> can induce the client or server to send unprotected packets, even with no
> signaled negotiation? I can imagine one for the specific case where a node
> falls back to clear text if DTLS packets fail; an attacker could induce
> failures for DTLS packets, but that is covered elsewhere.
> Comment not addressed.

  The point of DTLS isn't just to protect from malicious clients.  It's
to protect clients and servers from malicious third parties.  Those
parties can read all RADIUS/UDP traffic now.  They will not be able to
read RADIUS/DTLS traffic.

  These third parties could actively cause DTLS to fail, and force the
client and server to use an insecure transport.  This sounds like a
downbidding attack to me.

  Do you have another definition for downbidding which you are using?
Or would another term be acceptable here?

> -- 6, 2nd and 3rd paragraph:
>
> The RECOMMENDation to allow administrative entry of keys and to derive keys
> from a PRNG seem contradictory.
>

> [The author responded that it's a requirement that implementors allow
> administrators to enter
> strong keys. but I don't get that from the text, which both RECOMMENDS that
> the interface allow people to enter human readable hex strings, and that keys
> should be derived from a PRNG instead of letting administrators make up keys.
> How can it be both?

  Because the administrators have to enter the same key on both the
client and server.  If one machine auto-generated a secure pseudo-random
number, it would still have to be transported to the other, and entered
in an administration UI... via the method suggested in the document.

> I don't see how an interface could prevent administrators from entering
> better keys. Perhaps the intent is to offer or interface with tools for
> random generation, or to scan entered keys for things with insufficient
> entropy?]

  Have you ever entered a password in a poorly designed on-line form?
"special characters like !, %, &, $, etc. are not allowed".  Vendors do
this today with RADIUS systems, for the shared secret.  Such idiocy
should be discouraged.

> -- 10.3, 2nd paragraph:
>
> This is redundant and inconsistent with previous normative requirements in
> 5.1.1.
>
> [Author replied that it's worth reiterating security issues, and that the
> sections were now consistent. But there's still conflicting normative
> statements here. 5.1.1 says implementations SHOULD monitor number of
> sessions. This section says MUST.
>
> And I still assert that, even if the security issue is worth reiterating, it
> should not be reiterated _normatively_.  Doing so creates confusion about
> which text is authoritative, especially when they conflict. Even if they
> don't conflict now, it's easy for future updates to accidentally create
> conflicts.]

  I'll address that.

> -- 10.4 5th and 6th paragraphs:
>
> Paragraph 5 says credentials should be manually configured, and strongly tied
> to a host name. It is not clear to me from the text whether using a
> certificate (perhaps issued by a trusted CA) to bind the credentials to the
> hostname is permissible. The use of "manual" would seem to disallow that. But
> paragraph 6 talks about configuring trusted CAs.
>
> [The author commented that dynamic discovery was out of scope--but I don't
> think anything about this implies dynamic discovery. (e.g. configuring a
> client to talk to foo.example.com, then using using a CA to validate that a
> server certificate to ensure that that server really is foo.example.com is
> not the same as dynamic discovery.]

  I'm not sure what the objection here is.

  The point is that when a client connects to a server, the server uses
the source IP to determine which set of credentials to use.  There is no
"binding" of a certificate to a hostname.  The system is configured to
verify that "when you see packets from IP X, they must be using
certificate C".

  This configuration is independent of the certificate contents.

> -- 10.5, last paragraph:
>
> This seems to be making normative statements about RADIUS/UDP. It's not
> appropriate to make those statements here unless this draft normatively
> updates RADIUS/UDP. (Which and experimental rfc shouldn't do.)

  The consensus of the WG was that the text belonged.

> Nits and Editorial Comments:
>

> -- idnits reports: The document seems to use 'NOT RECOMMENDED' as an RFC 2119
> keyword, but
>      does not include the phrase in its RFC 2119 key words list.

  OK.  I'll fix that.

> -- 6.1, first paragraph: "subsystem does not need to multiple
>    multiple sessions on one socket"
>
> I think one instance of "multiple" was intended as a different word?

  "manage multiple sessions on one socket"