From: Jeff Haas [mailto:jh...@juniper.net]
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2015 5:12 PM
To: drafts-lastc...@iana.org
Cc: draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-redirect-rt-...@tools.ietf.org;
idr-cha...@ietf.org; Alvaro Retana (aretana); Mach Chen; Susan Hares;
General Area Review Team
Subject: Re: [IANA #818133] Last Call:
<draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-redirect-rt-bis-03.txt> (Clarification of the
Flowspec Redirect Extended Community) to Proposed Standard

+gen-art review who noted similar issues in the registration policy

On Apr 10, 2015, at 12:37 PM, Pearl Liang via RT <drafts-lastc...@iana.org>
wrote:

> Hi Sue, and Jeff,
>
> Thank you Sue for clarifying the timeline and the IANA actions.  Your
> instructions are very clear.  Just a few nits/question.
>
> - Regarding the Form for new created registries:
>
> Form: Sub-type Value, Name, Reference, Registration Type
>
> Can you clarify what types of information will go to the element
"Registration Type"
> in the BGP Extended Communities registry?

I believe Sue had intended this to match the form of the existing "Generic
Transitive Experimental Use Extended Community Sub-Types" registry.  This
includes sub-type value and name as fields with reference to the document
and date.  Is that right, Sue?

Sue: Yes this was my understanding of your intent.  Did you have any other
intent?

> - This is likely for Jeff.  I noticed now that the two new
> registrations for Part 2 Sub-Types and Part 3 Sub-Types have different
names in the IC section:

> /snip/
> IANA is requested to create the "Generic Transitive Experimental Use
> Extended Community Part 2 Sub-Types" registry.  It should be seeded
>   with the following Sub-Type:
>
>   0x08 - Flow spec redirect IPv4 format.
>
>   IANA is requested to create the "Generic Transitive Experimental Use
>   Extended Community Part 3 Sub-Types" registry.  It should be seeded
>   with the following Sub-Type:
>
>   0x08 - Flow spec redirect AS-4byte format.
> /snip/

I think the text was unclear.  The intention is to create two new registries
in the form of the "Generic Transitive Experimental Use Extended Community
Sub-Type".  The new registries are distinct in that the first octet value
(the type) is 0x81 and 0x82 for Part 2 and Part 3 respectively.

Within each of those registries, there is a single entry registered,as per
above.

Please see the attachment at the end of this mail for new proposed IANA
Considerations text that I believe conveys this intent.  It contains all
edits to date.

> Please update the names to the one in Sue's comment if the names
> should be consistent in both sub-regisries.
>
> I'll let you work on the action items on your end.  If you have
> questions for us, please contact us.
>
> Thanks,
> ~pl
>

> On Fri Apr 10 00:33:05 2015, sha...@ndzh.com wrote:
>> Pearl:
>>
>> This is my understanding of what needs to change, and hopefully
>> answers all your questions.  I apologize that this draft got to you
>> without the new form.
>>
>> I'll wait for an acknowledgement from Jeff that he is re-writing the
>> draft to cover these changes. Once Jeff has re-written the draft,
>> this draft will be 1 week WG LC to cover this change.  Please set
>> your timer to check on this in 2 week.
>>
>> Answers to your questions:
>> O Action 1, Q1: the RFC should be [RFC5575, RFC-to-Be] On Action 2,
>> this is correct,  Please update the free space in the registry to
>> indicate only 0x83 to 0x8f are free.

Agreed.

>> On action 3, Q1:  Please create a new entry under the following web-
>> page
>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/bgp-extended-communities/bgp-extended
>> -
>> communities.xhtml
>>
>> Name the web page the following:
>> "Generic Transitive Experimental Use
>>  Extended Community Part 2 Sub-Types" registry.
>>
>> Form: Sub-type Value, Name, Reference, Registration Type
>>
>> Sub-Type Value  Name                     Reference  Registration-type
>> 0x00-0x07        TBD                         TBD
>> Standards action
>>
>> 0x08               Flow Spec redirect
>>                       AS-4byte format      [This-RFC]   Standards
>>
>> 0x09-0x40     TBD                            TBD             Standards
>> action
>> 0x41-0xff   Reserved

Sue, is there any reason to not use a similar registration range as the 0x80
range?  I.e.:
0x00-0xbf - FCFS
0xc0-0xff - IETF review?

Sue: I am fine with use but it was not spelled out in the draft.  If this is
the range, we will need a 2 Week LC to confirm this range for both types for
both types. Revise the draft so IANA can confirm, and I'll start the 2 WG LC
in parallel with the other processes.