> On Nov 23, 2015, at 9:01 AM 11/23/15, Tim Wicinski <tjw.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ralph
>
> Thanks for the detailed review. Commeinline
>
> On 11/20/15 11:22 AM, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:
>>
>> I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for
>> draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation-07.txt.
>>
>> For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
>> <http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.
>>
>> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
>> may receive.
>>

>> Document: draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation-07
>> Reviewer: Ralph Droms
>> Review Date: 2015-11-20
>> IETF LC End Date: 2015-11-23
>> IESG Telechat date: unknown

>> This draft is on the right track but has open issues, described in the
>> review.
>>
>> Major issues:
>>
>> The document is well-written and easy to understand.  Thank you.
>>
>> Has the working group considered publishing this document as "Informational"
>> rather than "Experimental"?  If the document is published as "Experimental",
>> is the intention to publish a subsequent proposed standard or BCP?
>>

> The WG has considered several options. I believe we settled on "Experimental"
> because passing the entire QNAME all the way to the root servers has always
> existed, and it was unclear what unintended consequences would happen if this
> was deployed.
>
> We do plan  on producing a Standards Track document.

OK, glad to hear the WG thought through the alternatives.

>> In my opinion, the document needs a little more work if it is to be
>> published as "Experimental", especially if the intention is to publish a
>> proposed standard based on the results of experiments with the techniques
>> described in this document.  I found the descriptions in the document
>> understandable, but not quite detailed enough to build an interoperable
>> implementation.
>>

> Do you have anything in particular on details?  I can revisit with the
> authors on this.

In my opinion, the document provides a collection of techniques but doesn't
explicitly define a specific, testable mechanism to implement.  (continued
below)

>> Is Appendix A intended as the specification for the QNAME minimization
>> techniques described in this document?  The appendix is titled "An algorithm
>> to find the zone cut" and the introductory text indicates the algorithm is
>> intended for locating the zone cut.  However, as I read the algorithm, it
>> finds and traverses all zone cuts until the original QNAME can be resolved.

   Here is the text I would focus on if I were writing an implementation:

   A resolver which implements QNAME minimisation, [...],
   sends a request to the name
   server authoritative for the closest known parent of the original
   QNAME.

   [...]

   The minimising resolver works perfectly when it knows the zone cut
   [RFC2181] (section 6). [...] (Appendix A describes this algorithm
   in deeper details.)

As I wrote in my review, it appears to me that Appendix A gives a specification
of the resolver behavior.  If that's the case, it would be helpful to make that
explicit statement in section 2.

>> If Appendix A is not the specification for the QNAME minimization
>> techniques, then I don't know exactly what specific behavior or algorithm is
>> referred to by "minimising resolver" in this sentence from section 2: "The
>> minimising resolver works perfectly when it knows the zone cut [...]".
>>
>> My suggestion would be to include another algorithm description, similar to
>> that in Appendix A, but that describes how to use knowledge of zone cuts.
>>

> OK
>
>> Editorial
>> ---------
>>
>> In section 2, is the phrase "closest known parent of the original QNAME"
>> something that most DNS developers would understand?  Would the phrase
>> "closest enclosing NS RRset" from Appendix A be more precise?
>>

> "closest enclosing NS RRset" may be more relevant.

OK.

>> I wasn't sure at first whether "(section 6)" in the 4th paragraph of section
>> 2 referred to section 6 of RFC 2181 or section 6 of this document.
>>

> This is RFC2181, so perhaps it can be reworded like this:
>
>       The minimising resolver works perfectly when it knows the zone
>       cut, as described in section 6 of [RFC2181].

That wording would eliminate the confusion.