> On May 18, 2016, at 9:29 PM 5/18/16, Jari Arkko <jari.ar...@piuha.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your review, Ralph!

You're welcome.  I'm glad to hear you found the review valuable.

> I do think some of the points you raised need to be addressed. Inline:
>

>> #####
>>
>> I often react to the use of RFC 2119 language in an Informational document
>> by asking is that language really necessary?  I'll ask the question here: in
>> the context of this Informational document, which appears to be entirely
>> advisory in providing guidelines, what does the use of RFC 2119
>> "requirements language" add to the meaning of the document.

> I think that’s right.

OK.

>> #####
>>
>> Figure 1 is not clear to me.  Where are the physical links and interfaces?
>> Are there multiple physical senders and receivers or are "senders A"
>> instantiated on a single host (does it make a difference)?  Are there
>> static-sized buffers for each interface or do all the buffers share one
>> memory space?

> My opinion is that Figure 1 was very hard to read, even with reading the
> text. I’d like to see some improvement in either the text or the figure.

I can understand that the figure might be an illustrative abstraction, but I
still think it would be helpful to have more detail in the text and some
restructuring of the figure.

>> #####
>>
>> In section 3.1, is there a need to say something about the relative
>> capacities of the various links and the rates at which the various flows
>> generate traffic?

> OK

OK

>> #####
>>
>> I would have trouble following the guidelines set out in section 4.3.1.  I
>> can understand the need for consideration of the tunable control parameters
>> when comparing different AQM schemes.  However, I don't know what
>> "comparable" means for control parameters that are likely quite different
>> between AQM schemes.  I also think one would want to compare optimal control
>> settings for the different schemes, to compare best-case performance.  Or,
>> for AQM schemes whose performance is highly dependent on operational
>> conditions, one might want to compare settings that are sub-optimal for any
>> particular test condition but that give better performance over a wide range
>> of conditions.

>> To further precise this, we could change the text is section 4.3.1 as
>> follows :
>> "1. Similar control parameters and implications: Testers should be aware of
>> the control parameters of the different schemes that control similar
>> behavior. Testers should also be aware of the input value ranges and
>> corresponding implications. For example, consider two different schemes -
>> (A) queue-length based AQM scheme, and (B) queueing-delay based scheme. A
>> and B are likely to have different kinds of control inputs to control the
>> target delay - target queue length in A vs. target queuing delay in B, for
>> example. Setting parameter values such as 100MB for A vs. 10ms for B will
>> have different implications depending on evaluation context.  Such
>> context-dependent implications must be considered before drawing conclusions
>> on performance comparisons. Also, it would be preferable if an AQM proposal
>> listed such parameters and discussed how each relates to network
>> characteristics such as capacity, average RTT etc.”
>
> OK for me

I think the suggested text is OK, too.

>> #####
>>
>> Section 4.4 seems to give advice to the AQM designer rather than describe
>> guidelines for characterization.  Section 4.4 should either be rewritten to
>> give guidelines for structuring measurements to account for varying packet
>> sizes or the section should be elided.

>> " An AQM scheme SHOULD adhere to the recommendations outlined in [RFC7141],
>> and SHOULD NOT provide undue advantage to flows with smaller packets
>> [RFC7567]. In order to evaluate if an AQM scheme is biased towards flows
>> with smaller size packets, sender A in Figure 1 can be instantiated with two
>> long standing TCP flows with different packet sizes - 500 bytes vs. 1500
>> bytes, respectively and metrics such as goodput, loss rate can be compared
>> for these two flows.
>> “
>
> OK

OK with me, too.

>> #####
>>
>> In section 4.5, what is the motivation for giving the advice about ECN to
>> AQM designers?  I can understand that ECN will have affect the impact of
>> AQM, but for this document I think the section should focus on measurement
>> guidlines that account for that impact.

> I tend to agree with Ralph on this.
>
> I’m not sure why we need this for assessment or characterization.

The purpose of the section isn't at all clear to me.

>> #####
>>
>> The specific topology in section 10 does not seem well-motivated to me.  Why
>> is router R with no AQM included in the topology?  The choice of
>> measurements is similarly not well-motivated.  Why would it not be of
>> interest to run all the tests described earlier in the document?

> The text wasn’t clear in my mind that this is just a suggestion and/or an
> example.

Some clarification here would be helpful.

- Ralph