 Subject: RE: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option:  Minor and
editorial
 To: "nalini.elk...@insidethestack.com" <nalini.elk...@insidethestack.com>,
"jouni.nospam" <jouni.nos...@gmail.com>
 Cc: "General Area Review Team" <gen-art@ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option....@ietf.org"
<draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option....@ietf.org>, "Michael Ackermann"
<mackerm...@bcbsm.com>, "Robert Hamilton" <rhamil...@cas.org>
 Date: Friday, March 10, 2017, 6:21 AM

 jouni.nospam
 > Cc: General Area Review Team;
 draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-
 > option....@ietf.org;
 Michael Ackermann; Robert Hamilton
 > Subject: Re: Gen-ART review of
 draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option: Minor
 > and editorial
 >
 > Jouni,
 >
 > Our team has been discussing this.   So,
 please let us know what you
 > think about the wording below:
 >

 > Wording to be added to section 3.5 Implementation
 Considerations (will
 > make the current considerations 3.5.1)

 > 3.5.2  PDM Timestamps
 >
 > The PDM timestamps SHOULD be taken as close to the
 network interface as
 > possible.   This will ensure the most
 accurate measurements.

 > The ideal PDM reference plane or timestamp location
 is:

 > - Send direction: when the first bit of the first octet
 of the IP header
 > is received for output by the network interface
 >
 > -  Receive direction when the first bit of the
 first octet of the IP
 > header is received for input by the network interface.
 >
 > Not all implementations will be able to achieve the
 ideal level of
 > measurement.

 [ACM]

 >Hi Nalini,

> It just occurred to me that your IPPM draft can reference
> the IPPM Framework RFC 2330, especially the section on
> clocks and Wiretime:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2330#section-10.2

> IOW, we've been down this road before,

Revised Section 3.5.2
----------------------------

3.5.2  PDM Timestamps

The PDM timestamps are intended to isolate wire time from
server or host time.

RFC2330 [RFC2330] "Framework for IP Performance Metrics"
discusses measurement of wire time in section 10.2.

" +    For a given packet P, the 'wire arrival time' of P at H on L is
      the first time T at which any bit of P has appeared at H's
      observational position on L.

 +    For a given packet P, the 'wire exit time' of P at H on L is the
      first time T at which all the bits of P have appeared at H's
      observational position on L."

The timestamping methods used in a PDM implementation
MUST follow the guidelines provided by RFC2330.

 wrote:

 >  Subject: Re: Gen-ART review of
 draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option:  Minor
 > and editorial
 >  To: nalini.elk...@insidethestack.com
 >  Cc: "General Area Review Team" <gen-art@ietf.org>,
 "draft-ietf-ippm-
 > 6man-pdm-option....@ietf.org"
 <draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-
 > option....@ietf.org>,
 "Michael Ackermann" <mackerm...@bcbsm.com>,
 > "Robert Hamilton" <rhamil...@cas.org>
 >  Date: Monday, March 6, 2017, 11:15 AM
 >
 >  Hi Nalini,
 >
 >  Thank you. Accurate
 >  timestamping is a non-trivial goal to achieve.
 You should
 >  have the “ideal” reference plane described
 (this usually
 >  is located close or within the network interface
 PHY) and
 >  the exact packet location described what
 constitutes the
 >  point that timestamp refers to (*). While most
 existing
 >  systems plain have no access to required
 resources/functions
 >  to do the timestamping “properly” you try
 your best and
 >  adjust the timestamp with the time you predict it
 takes to
 >  reach the “ideal” reference plane. This of
 course adds
 >  certain amount of error (just check the typical
 operating
 >  system context switch times) but you can get
 around it just
 >  by acknowledging the fact or the trying to
 describe your
 >  acceptable maximum error tolerance.. like +-1ms
 from the
 >  ideal timestamp if the packet were timestamped at
 the PDM
 >  defined reference plane and at the PDM defined
 message
 >  timestamping point. The former is obviously
 easier
 >  approach.
 >
 >  - JOuni
 >
 >  (*) example: when the first
 >  bit of the first octet of the IP header (i.e.,
 the first bit
 >  of IP version field) gets output by the PHY to
 the physical
 >  link. And to the receive direction when the first
 bit of the
 >  IP header is received by the network interface
 PHY.. or
 >  something similar. It does not be this strict as
 long as
 >  there is clear understanding what is going on.
 >

 >  > On Mar 6, 2017, at
 >  6:41 AM, <nalini.elk...@insidethestack.com>
 >  <nalini.elk...@insidethestack.com>
 >  wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Jouni,
 >  >
 >  > OK.   I
 >  will look.   We are also working with a very
 well
 >  respected FreeBSD developer to create a version
 of FreeBSD
 >  which has PDM in it.
 >  >
 >  > We need to know exactly what choices one
 >  has in the OS stack itself.
 >  >
 >  > Thanks,
 >  >
 >  > Nalini Elkins
 >  > Inside
 >  Products, Inc.
 >  >
 >  www.insidethestack.com
 >  > (831)
 >  659-8360
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > From: jouni.nospam <jouni.nos...@gmail.com>
 >  > To: nalini.elk...@insidethestack.com
 >
 >  > Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>;
 >  "draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option....@ietf.org"
 >  <draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option....@ietf.org>;
 >  Michael Ackermann <mackerm...@bcbsm.com>;
 >  Robert Hamilton <rhamil...@cas.org>
 >  > Sent: Sunday, March 5, 2017 4:54 PM
 >  > Subject: Re: Gen-ART review of
 >  draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option: Minor and
 editorial
 >  >
 >  > Hi,
 >  >
 >  > Thank you for the
 >  updates. I am fine with them.
 >  >
 >  > I still have one fundamental complaint.
 >  There is no discussion or definition of the
 message
 >  timestamp points. All this nanosecond or better
 accuracy,
 >  and the concern of truncation inaccuracy do not
 really
 >  matter if the message timestamp point varies node
 to node or
 >  even within the node. I suggest taking a look at
 standards
 >  like IEEE 802.1AS, IEEE 1588v2 or IEEE 1722 for
 discussions
 >  of this topic. You really need to have a good
 definition
 >  & discussion of the message timestamp point,
 or justify
 >  that in the text why it is not there.
 >  >
 >
 >  > Regards,
 >  >
 >     Jouni
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > > On Feb 28, 2017, at 7:04 AM, nalini.elk...@insidethestack.com
 >  wrote:
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  Jouni,
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  We have posted a new version which addresses the
 minor and
 >  editorial comments. It is below.  I am waiting
 for your
 >  response to the major comments & then I will
 >  integrate.  As far as I know now, I have
 addressed all
 >  outstanding issues.  My comments to your
 editorial / minor
 >  is below.
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-

 3A__datatracker.ietf.org_doc_draft-2Dietf-2Dippm-2D6man-2Dpdm-
 > 2Doption_&d=DwIFaQ&c=LFYZ-

 o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=OfsSu8kTIltVyD1oL72cBw&m=cYzACikChPQGF4cm8f-

 wBWGYz8GduHbmLA55dmSpsuM&s=2eDvhYB5jPh66D2Mj4HHXH6UcQuJtuyffJfrrcNdiyw&e
 > =
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > > Nits/editorial comments:
 >  > >
 >  > >> 1)
 >  Section 1.4 numbered list: add missing full
 stops.
 >  > >
 >  > > Actually,
 >  I think it is better to remove the full stops
 from the two
 >  that have it.  These are sentence
 >  >
 >  > fragments.
 >  > >
 >  > >> 2) Section 3.2: remove
 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >  "The 5-tuple consists of
 >  > >
 >  > >>  the source and destination IP
 >  addresses, the source and destination
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > >>  ports, and the upper
 >  layer protocol (ex. TCP, ICMP, etc)."
 >  > >
 >  > >> since
 >  this is unnecessary repetition.
 >  > >
 >
 >  > >
 >  > > This
 >  is in the section below:
 >  > >
 >  > > Old
 >  > > ----
 >
 >  > > Packet Sequence Number This
 >  Packet (PSNTP)
 >  > >
 >  > > 16-bit unsigned integer.  This field
 >  will wrap. It is intended for
 >  > > use
 >  while analyzing packet traces.
 >  > >
 >
 >  > > Initialized at a random number
 >  and incremented monotonically for each
 >  >
 >  > packet of the session flow of the 5-tuple.
 The
 >  5-tuple consists of
 >  > > the source
 >  and destination IP addresses, the source and
 destination
 >  > > ports, and the upper layer protocol
 >  (ex. TCP, ICMP, etc).  The
 >  > >
 >  random number initialization is intended to make
 it harder
 >  to spoof
 >  > > and insert such packets.
 >
 >  > >
 >  > > New
 >
 >  > > ----
 >  > >
 >  Packet Sequence Number This Packet (PSNTP)
 >  > >
 >  > > 16-bit
 >  unsigned integer.  This field will wrap. It is
 intended for

 >  > > use while analyzing packet
 >  traces.
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  > Initialized at a random number and
 incremented
 >  monotonically for each
 >  > > packet of
 >  the session flow of the 5-tuple.
 >  > >
 >
 >  > >
 >  > >> 3)
 >  Section 3.2: remove
 >  > >
 >  > >> "Operating systems MUST NOT
 >  implement a single
 >  > >
 >  > >> counter for all
 >  connections."
 >  > >
 >  > >> Seems again like unnecessary
 >  repetition to previous sentence.
 >  > >
 >
 >  > >
 >  > > This
 >  is in the section on "Packet Sequence Number
 This
 >  Packet (PSNTP)"
 >  > >
 >  > > Old
 >  > > ---
 >
 >  > > Operating systems MUST implement
 >  a separate packet sequence number
 >  > >
 >  counter per 5-tuple. Operating systems MUST NOT
 implement a
 >  single
 >  > > counter for all
 >  connections.
 >  > >
 >  > > New
 >  > > ---
 >
 >  > > Operating systems MUST implement
 >  a separate packet sequence number
 >  > >
 >  counter per 5-tuple.
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > >> 4)
 >  Section 3.2 again unnecessary repetition of IPv6
 basics that
 >  can be read from RFC2460. Suggest strongly to
 remove:
 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >  "This indicates the following processing
 requirements:

 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >  00 - skip over this option and continue
 processing the
 >  header.
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >>  RFC2460 [RFC2460] defines other values
 for the
 >  Option Type field.
 >  > >
 >  > >> These MUST NOT be used in the
 >  PDM."
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >> and
 >  > >
 >  > >> "The possible values are as
 >  follows:
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >> 0 - Option Data does not change
 en-route
 >  > >
 >  > >>  1 -
 >  Option Data may change en-route
 >  > >
 >
 >  > >>  The three high-order bits
 >  described above are to be treated as part
 >  > >
 >  > >>  of
 >  the Option Type, not independent of the Option
 Type.  That
 >  is, a
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >> particular option is identified by a
 full 8-bit
 >  Option Type, not just
 >  > >
 >  > >> the low-order 5 bits of an Option
 >  Type."
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > > Old
 >  >
 >  > ----
 >  > > Option Type
 >  > >
 >  > > The two
 >  highest-order bits of the Option Type field are
 encoded to

 >  > > indicate specific processing of
 >  the option; for the PDM destination
 >  >
 >  > option, these two bits MUST be set to 00.
 This
 >  indicates the
 >  > > following
 >  processing requirements:
 >  > >
 >  > > 00 - skip over this option and
 >  continue processing the header.
 >  > >
 >
 >  > > RFC2460 [RFC2460] defines other
 >  values for the Option Type field.
 >  > >
 >  These MUST NOT be used in the PDM.
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > > In keeping with RFC2460
 >  [RFC2460], the third-highest-order bit of the
 >  > > Option Type specifies whether or not
 >  the Option Data of that option
 >  > >
 >  can change en-route to the packet's final
 destination.

 >  > >
 >  > > In the
 >  PDM, the value of the third-highest-order bit
 MUST be 0.
 >  The
 >  > > possible values are as
 >  follows:
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  > 0 - Option Data does not change en-route
 >  > >
 >  > > 1 - Option
 >  Data may change en-route
 >  > >
 >  > > The three high-order bits described
 >  above are to be treated as part
 >  > >
 >  of the Option Type, not independent of the Option
 Type.
 >  That is, a
 >  > > particular option is
 >  identified by a full 8-bit Option Type, not just
 >  > > the low-order 5 bits of an Option
 >  Type.
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >
 >  > >
 >  > > New
 >
 >  > > ----
 >  > >
 >  Option Type
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  > In keeping with RFC2460[RFC2460], the two
 high order
 >  bits of the Option Type field are encoded to
 >  > > indicate specific processing of the
 >  option; for the PDM destination
 >  > >
 >  option, these two bits MUST be set to 00.
 >  > >
 >  > > The third
 >  high order bit of the Option Type specifies
 whether or not
 >  the Option Data of that option
 >  > >
 >  can change en-route to the packet's final
 destination.

 >  > >
 >  > > In the
 >  PDM, the value of the third high order bit MUST
 be 0.
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > > 5) Section
 >  3.3 same as in comment 4). Suggest strongly
 removing:
 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >  "This follows the order defined in RFC2460
 [RFC2460]

 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >              IPv6 header
 >  > >
 >  > >>              Hop-by-Hop
 >  Options header
 >  > >
 >  > >>            Destination
 >  Options header  <--------
 >  > >
 >  > >>            Routing header
 >
 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >          Fragment header
 >  > >
 >  > >>          Authentication
 >  header
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >>        Encapsulating Security
 Payload header

 <------------
 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >    upper-layer header"
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > >> 6) Suggest removing entire
 >  Section 3.4 and moving the following text to
 Section 3.3:

 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >  "PDM MUST be placed before the ESP header in
 >  > >
 >  > >> order
 >  to work.  If placed before the ESP header, the
 PDM header
 >  will
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >> flow in the clear over the network thus
 allowing
 >  gathering of
 >  > >
 >  > >> performance and diagnostic data
 >  without sacrificing security."
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  ESP processing with PDM was changed because of
 comments from
 >  security reviewer.
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > >> 7) Section 3.6 suggest removing
 >  the following text. I see no value it would add
 to what has
 >  already been said:
 >  > >
 >  > >> "As with all other
 >  destination options extension headers, the PDM
 is
 >  > >
 >  > >>  for
 >  destination nodes only. As specified above,
 intermediate
 >  devices
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >>  MUST neither set nor modify this
 field."
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > > Done
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > >> 8)
 >  Section 3.6 suggest removing the following
 5-tuple text as
 >  it has already been described earlier in Section
 2:
 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >  "The 5-tuple is:
 >  > >
 >  > >>  SADDR : IP address of the
 >  sender SPORT : Port for sender DADDR : IP
 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >  address of the destination DPORT : Port for
 destination
 >  PROTC :
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >>  Protocol for upper layer (ex. TCP,
 UDP,
 >  ICMP)"
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  > Done
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > >> 9) Sections 4.2 and 4.3
 >  suggest removing them entirely. I see what value
 these
 >  sections add. I acknowledge they are good
 >  > >> to know information of timer
 >  hardware implementation difference but do not
 really add
 >  value on the on-wire encoding of the PDM option.
 >  > >
 >  > >> 10)
 >  Section 4.4 suggest removing the entire section.
 Time Base
 >  was already described in detail enough in Section
 3.2.
 >  > >
 >  > >> 11)
 >  Section 4.5 time base for picoseconds is 11 not
 00.
 >  > >
 >  > >> 12)
 >  Section 4.5 suggest removing the following text,
 since it
 >  does not add any more clarity to what has already
 been said
 >  in my opinion. This is because all the examples
 follow nice
 >  nybble increment in scaling:
 >  > >
 >  > >> "Sample binary values (high
 >  order 16 bits taken)
 >  > >
 >  > >>  1 psec            1
 >
 >    0001
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >>  1 nsec          3E8
 >                      0011 1110 1000
 >  > >
 >  > >>  1
 >  usec        F4240
 >  1111 0100 0010 0100 0000
 >  > >
 >  > >>  1 msec    3B9ACA00
 >    0011 1011 1001 1010 1100 1010 0000 0000
 >  > >
 >  > >>  1
 >  sec    E8D4A51000 1110 1000 1101 0100 1010 0101
 0001 0000
 >  0000 0000"
 >  > >
 >  > >> 12) Section 4.6 I do not
 >  understand why this section is here. I strongly
 suggest
 >  removing it. Sections 4.5 and 3.2 already
 describe how I
 >  would encode the delta time using scaling as a
 separate
 >  fields not embedded (option fields ScaleDTLR and
 ScaleDTLS).
 >  Did I misunderstand something here?
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  Points 9 - 12 refer to the timing calculations.
 The
 >  timebase has been fixed to be attoseconds.
 >  > > The entire timing section has been
 >  re-written.  It has also been moved to an
 appendix.
 >  > > Please let us know if it this
 >  addresses your concerns.
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > >> 13) Section 5 suggest removing
 >  the following text because of it repeating what
 has already
 >  been said earlier:
 >  > >
 >  > >> "Each packet, in addition to
 >  the PDM contains information on the
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > >> sender and receiver. As
 >  discussed before, a 5-tuple consists of:
 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >  SADDR : IP address of the sender
 >  > >
 >
 >  > >>  SPORT : Port for sender
 >  > >
 >  > >>
 >  DADDR : IP address of the destination
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > >>  DPORT : Port for
 >  destination
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >>  PROTC : Protocol for upper layer (ex.
 TCP, UDP,
 >  ICMP)
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  >> It should be understood that the packet
 >  identification information is
 >  > >
 >  > >> in each packet. We will not
 >  repeat that in each of the following
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > >> steps."
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > > This is now in Appendix B.  It has
 >  been removed from that section.
 >  > >
 >
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > >> 14) Section 5.3 suggest merging
 >  the following text into one example and do
 necessary
 >  rewording. There is no need to do the same
 >  > >>  calculation twice on almost
 >  adjacent lines:
 >  > >
 >  > >> "Sending time : packet 2 -