Hi, Brian,

> On Sep 16, 2018, at 1:44 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Joe,
> On 2018-09-17 05:15, Joe Touch wrote:
>> Hi, Brian,
>>
>> See comments below…
>>
>> Joe
>>
>>> On Sep 15, 2018, at 3:32 PM, Brian E Carpenter
>>> <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear 杨术,
>>>
>>> I have added Joe Touch in Cc because one point below overlaps
>>> with his TSVART review.

>>> That's good to know. (I like the concept of an Implementation Status
>>> section as described in RFC7942, and I wish that all WGs would use this.)
>>>
>>> Now back to the fragmentation issue. Thank you for the new text:
>>>
>>> 7.3.  Fragmentation
>>>
>>>  The encapsulation performed by an upstream AFBR will increase the
>>>  size of packets.  As a result, the outgoing I-IP link MTU may not
>>>  accommodate the larger packet size.  It is not always possible for
>>>  core operators to increase the MTU of every link, thus fragmentation
>>>  after encapsulation and reassembling of encapsulated packets MUST be
>>>  supported by AFBRs [RFC5565].  The specific requirements for
>>>  fragmentation and tunnel configuration COULD be referred to in
>>>  [I-D.ietf-intarea-tunnels], which is under revision currently.
>>>
>>> One of my problems remains, and is not answered by
>>> draft-ietf-intarea-tunnels:

>>> draft-ietf-intarea-tunnels does cover the setting of DF, but it still
>>> doesn't state how the tunnel end point knows when to include an IPv6
>>> fragment header, unless I missed something.
>>
>> If IPv6 fragmentation is needed, then the frag header is included.
>> Otherwise, it is not. As per the standard.
>
> Yes, but my question is: How does the AFBR (the IPv6 source node) *know*
> that fragmentation is needed?

Path MTU discovery for the tunnel - at worst, based on the tunnel interface
MTU. This is discussed in Section 4.2.3 of the draft-ietf-intarea-tunnels.

> This question doesn't arise for IPv4;
> if you don't set DF, you don't need to worry about PMTU size.

For IPv4 as an outer header, yes - but see RFC 6864. Clearing DF means the
tunnel ingress MUST generate new packets at a rate where it can ensure the IP
IDs don’t cycle where fragments overlap (which is also already discussed in the
section indicated above.

>> There’s no “DF” in IPv6 because on-path fragmentation isn’t possible.
>
> Exactly, so the absence of a fragment header forbids it.

No, IPv6 forbids on-path fragmentation of an existing header only. The IPv6
tunnel encapsulation header isn’t on-path per se; it’s completely valid to
encapsulate a received IPv6 packet inside an IPv6 tunnel that fragments *at the
outer layer* (i.e., reassembling at the tunnel egress).

> So should
> the AFBR include a frag header just in case?

That won’t help. The frag header would be generated at the tunnel ingress and
has to be unique there (which has no relation to a frag header of the inner
packet, if one is present).

> Should this be
> configurable? Should it use some form of PMTUD? Or do we require
> the actual PMTU to be big enough?

See the section above; you either need to discover it dynamically or deploy the
system so it’s not an issue.

> I see this as a gap in the specification.

I don’t think it’s unique to this particular tunnel approach, though.

Joe