On 10/02/2020 19:56, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2020/01/21/crlite-part-3-speeding-up-secure-browsing/

Nice! Hope the experiment goes well as it seems
a good-looking idea. Bit of a pity this mechanism
also pushes towards more centralisation, (IIUC). But
on balance, that's not a huge deal, the Mozilla
version of this being part of the already-centralised
(via browser-makers/root store operators) webpki.

Anyway overall I take this as more evidence that
x.509-based pki has outlived it's useful lifetime.
Given the webpki needs CT (which it totally does)
and now maybe novel revocation mechanisms like this,
(as well as soon-to-be PQ schemes if we believe
what people tell us), I'd argue it may well be time
to try see if there's any consensus on a post-x.509
direction towards which to head.

Cheers,
S.