On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 15:34, Ryan Kaldari <rkald...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The behavior you describe is all too common on Wikipedia (and even worse
> on Commons). I could quote some much more blatant examples than the one
> you cite, but I'll spare everyone the groans. I think the problem is
> that most guys do not understand that creating an unwanted sexualized
> environment is a form of sexism and an abuse of male privilege (and that
> it has a real effect on women's participation in the project). Indeed, I
> imagine some do not even comprehend the concept of "unwanted sexualized
> environment". Perhaps it would be helpful to point them to:
> http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Sexualized_environment
>
> This reminds me of my unsuccessful attempt to get WP:HOTTIE deleted :(
>
> For the long term, we should think about trying to get wording added to
> either the Civility policy or the Harassment policy about offensive
> verbal comments and sexual innuendo.

Ryan, thanks for the link to the "sexualized environment" page.
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Sexualized_environment Perhaps  the
best thing to do when we see these comments is just add a link to that
page.

I'd like to try to add something to the civility policy about sexual
innuendo. I think so long as it's low key we could manage that fairly
easily (famous last words).

Sarah