From: fraz...@bigpond.com
To: gendergap@lists.wikimedia.org
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 23:15:40 +1100
Subject: Re: [Gendergap] I'm not sure which is more depressing

Hello Lennart,
Thank you for your reply. You made no errors.  I was
explaining the feminist take on the word 'lady'. I was not sure that you were
joking by using the term, so I attempted to eliminate the factors which would
normally point to it being a joke. Hence my examination of exclamation
markings,
etc. Had we spoken about this face to face our normal body language would have
clearly indicated we were speaking lightheartedly; boasting our prowess on this
matter over a glass of wine, so to speak. Black words on white screen
backgrounds lack those important nuances. However, thank you for the
extrapolation on the different words.

It is not bad phrasing; I fully understand that it is not
bad phrasing. My response to your email was simply about 'choice'; that is
which
words we choose to use and their impact on society. As we are talking on a
'Gendergap' page I thought it appropriate and reasonable to discuss this point,
but in replying to you I took my explanation to the world of the feminist
thinker, and perhaps that is not appropriate for this list.

Wow, I am stoked, thank you so much for understanding the
simply put discussion about 'male' vs 'female'. Not too many people stop to
think that our constructed formatting follows male-gendered lines, that
is, in the example given, the word 'male' always prominent while
'female' requires another click of the drop down. Today a
similar inequality is still evident in many of our documents, for
example, our own Rules of Association speak in terms of 'he'. 'She' is
taken for granted as read where 'he' appears in various clauses of the
document. Another example, if I may detain you just a little longer, is
our federal and State legislation here in Australia. Up
to the recent past it was always written in terms of the male gender, and
in present recent decades our legislators introduced Acts of
parliament to guide the adoption of plain speech in legislation, and encourage
the introduction of 'non-gender specific language', in an effort, inter alia,
to recognise that nowadays in legislation it is considered to be
discriminatory when the syntax uses only one gender. Your comment: 'to make
the genders equally prominent' is a commendable thought indeed. Thank
you.

Kind regards,
Anne