On 2 April 2012 23:40, Sarah <slimvir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stie...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > This study was shared with me this morning and discusses how "informal
> > rewards" (barnstars) do make a significant impact on the contributions
> and
> > productivity of editors.
> >

> http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0034358
> >
> > It's a quick read, and helps to solidify the research and theories that a
> > number of us have theorized about.
> >
> > Give a little wikilove today to a new experienced editor, it really does
> > make a difference :)
> >
> > -Sarah
> >
> Hi Sarah, I've been meaning to ask this for awhile but didn't know
> where. This seems as good an opportunity as any. :)
>
> Something I find offputting about the wikilove awards is that they
> leave an edit summary of "new WikiLove message". I've only used it
> once because of that, and if I use it again I'll paste in my own
> message and image rather than use the template.
>
> Do you know whether there's a way individuals can change those edit
> summaries, or can the template be tweaked centrally so it doesn't
> automatically do that? I'm just thinking that if I was put off by the
> edit summary, others might be too.

Ah Sarah (SV Sarah), you've taken the words out of my mouth.  I don't use
WikiLove templates for this very reason, and I know that some people use
them specifically because they know the edit summary will annoy the
recipient.

Perhaps either a user-specified edit summary or a simple "New message for
you" summary would be more...ummm....user-friendly?  I quite like the
concept and would probably use WikiLove if not for that summary.

Risker/Anne