Hello Gender Gappers,

Just a reminder that applications for AdaCamp DC are still open!
We've accepted about 75 applications and have room for 75 - 125 more
people.  Deadline to request childcare is June 8, deadline for all
applications is June 29, conference is July 10 - 11.  Apply early in
case we sell out!

http://dc.adacamp.org/apply

FAQ:

* What is AdaCamp DC?

AdaCamp DC is a unconference aimed at increasing the participation and
status of women in open technology and culture, organized by the Ada
Initiative.  Topics include Wikimedia projects as well as open source
software, open data in general, fan/remix culture, and other areas.
To get an idea of what to expect, read about the first AdaCamp in
Melbourne: http://melbourne.adacamp.org

* When and where will it be?

AdaCamp DC is co-located with Wikimania 2012 in a venue about a mile
away (the Washington Post building).  It will be the two days prior to
Wikimania, July 10 - 11, from about 9am to about 5pm.

* That's the same time as the Wikimania hack-a-thon!  Can I attend both?

We're really sorry AdaCamp DC conflicts with the hack-a-thon!  The
venues are about a mile apart, so switching at lunch time or attending
one day of each is practical.  If you attend AdaCamp DC, you are not
obliged to be there all day every day.

* Who should apply?

We're looking for people who have significant experience in open
technology and culture, have at least moderate knowledge of the issues
women face in these areas, take a feminist approach to solving these
issues, and collaborate well with others.  While we support women-only
events, this Ada Initiative event welcomes people of all genders who
fit these criteria.  If you're not sure if you're qualified, please
apply anyway!

* What is the format?

AdaCamp DC is an unconference, meaning the schedule and topics are
chosen by the attendees each morning.  We will begin the day with a
plenary session, then attendees will suggest session topics to be
discussed during the rest of the day.  We will have between 6 and 9
parallel sessions of between 30 and 60 minutes in length.  The day
will end with another plenary session in which we review what we
produced that day.

Please feel free to forward this information to other forums or people
that might be interested in attending!

Valerie Aurora
Executive Director, Ada Initiative

--
Increasing the participation of women in open technology and culture
http://adainitiative.org