On 4 June 2012 16:11, Nathan <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 4 June 2012 13:34, Nathan <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In the context of Wikipedia editing, what does it mean to have been
>>> "assaulted"?
>>>

>> That's a good question, Nathan.  In my workplace, we classify assaults as
>> physical and verbal; I suppose from the WMF-project perspective, we'd be
>> looking at (mainly) verbal assaults, either onwiki or via email.
>>
>> There have been some genuine, documented stalking situations (in the true
>> sense of the word, with off-wiki contacts that include phone calls and
>> sometimes even a physical presence), but they are presumably quite rare.
>>
>> I'd also say that neither are limited to being directed at female users;
>> however, particularly given the small number of women editing on the
>> projects, I suspect that they are disproportionately at the receiving end
>> of such behaviour.  I have no evidence that this is the case, though.
>>
>> Risker/Anne
>>

> Ok. To ask a follow-up, and I'm sorry if this is a dense question but I
> genuinely don't have the answer, what is an example of a verbal assault? I
> understand the wiki-parameters of harassment, and can recognize insults and
> rude behavior etc., but I'm just not sure what I would classify as an
> assault among purely text-based exchanges.

I'd suggest it would be blatant personal attacks as opposed to the lower
level harassment.  I can remember once reading "You're so useless, I
wouldn't even clean the toilet with you", and was only sad that another
admin beat me to the block button for that one.  I remember when we were
taking our "safe workplace training", the educators said that verbal
assaults left the victim feeling essentially the same as if they had been
physically attacked, except for the physical injury: that is, humiliated,
powerless, shocked and "beaten".  They described it as "the way you'd feel
if someone slapped your face, except that your cheek doesn't hurt".

Maybe others could give some examples of where they'd say verbal aggression
went beyond annoying into what they might feel is verbal assault?

Risker/Anne