"One reason Violentacrez continued to occupy such a high-profile position on Reddit was of course his free speech rhetoric. But Violentacrez has >historically had a close relationship with Reddit's staff, a fact far less well-known than his controversial behavior."

"For all his unpleasantness, they realized that Violentacrez was an excellent community moderator and could be counted on to keep the >administrators abreast of any illegal content he came across."

Wow, it's like Wikipedia's civility vs. established editors dynamic but with more misogyny, homophobia and racism...

I had just been reading all the underlying links from the Slate story (http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/10/11/reddit_bans_gawker_links_over_adrian_chen_story_about_porn_purveyor_violentacres.html). I was wondering when someone would post it here, and I was going to myself if no one else did. The similarities to issues we've had on Wikipedia, albeit ramped up somewhat, are really interesting.

Daniel Case