On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joseph Reagle released his new paper - "Free as in sexist?" Free culture and
> the gender gap.

> Lots of talk about Wikipedia, and a few familiar names cited in it (Kat
> Walsh, Sue, SlimVirgin, among others).

Did you ever encounter the hypothesis that science fiction fandom, in
some ways the ur-culture of most modern geek culture, arose among and
is most congenial to persons with at least a marginal case of
Asperger's, and that this shapes the manners and customs of discourse?
(I do realize that Asperger's and other afflictions along the autism
spectrum are supposed to be somewhat gender-linked.)

Heaven knows I'm only one of more than a dozen Wikipedians I can name
easily who are also more-or-less well-known members of SF fandom, and
only two of whom are female.

I'll admit to being a bit that way myself, despite my fierce lifetime
feminist commitment. (I also married a fellow SF fan [at a con, as a
matter of fact]; it's worked for 32 years now.)

--
Michael J. "Orange Mike" Lowrey

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food
and clothes."
     --  Desiderius Erasmus