For what it's worth, this issue is apparently discussed in the
categorisation guidelines, which recommend "Both male and female
[subjects] should continue to be filed in the appropriate
gender-neutral role category..." in cases where we only have one
gender-specific category; they should only be moved out of the main
category if we're doing a complete gender subdivision (as is the case
with, eg, most sporting topics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Categorization/Ethnicity,_gender,_religion_and_sexuality#Gender

Of course, guidelines do not always govern actual practice on the ground!

A.

- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk