On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Sarah <slimvir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A similar statement from the Foundation about the need to reject racism,
> sexism and homophobia among editors -- and to remember that this is an
> educational project -- might go a long way to adjusting attitudes.

Most egregious examples of these behaviors are already in violation of
site terms of use and community policies, but I agree that a strong
reinforcement of core values could help. Agendas unrelated to the
gender gap aside, I agree that _some_ change should continue to come
from the top, while some needs to continue to come from all of us. I
say "continue" because to say that things haven't already progressed
significantly from where they were 2 or 3 years ago would be
misleading.

The Terms of Use prohibit harassment, which is the same word that's
used to characterize the behaviors the friendly space policy
prohibits. So at least in that respect the two are already somewhat
analogous.

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use#4._Refraining_from_Certain_Activities

WMF Board did in fact pass a resolution specifically about photographs
of identifiable people:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Images_of_identifiable_people

Erring on the side of conservatism, the Board used language about
"private situations / places". But it calls explicitly for
strengthening and developing the relevant policy on Commons:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Photographs_of_identifiable_people

There _are_ thoughtful people on Commons who could be engaged
individually to help further develop and refine this policy to
elaborate on ethical issues like the one which started this thread.
And there are thoughtful people on this list who could help drive that
conversation.

Similarly, on things like acceptable content in user space, en.wp has
a pretty sophisticated and carefully considered policy which already
prohibits needlessly provocative content, and which could be developed
further to explain how such content can be seen as harassing and
damage an environment where people can work together productively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:User_pages

It's also worth noting on the subject of Commons that WMF did _not_
withdraw the Controversial Content resolution from May 2011, only the
personal image hiding feature component thereof. The resolution also
contained other recommendations consistent with reinforcing the
educational scope of Wikimedia Commons:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Controversial_content

"We urge the Commons community to continue to practice rigorous active
curation of content, including applying appropriate categorization,
removing media that does not meet existing policies and guidelines for
inclusion, and actively commissioning media that is deemed needed but
missing. We urge the community to pay particular attention to curating
all kinds of potentially controversial content, including determining
whether it has a realistic educational use and applying the principle
of least astonishment in categorization and placement."

"We urge the Wikimedia Foundation and community to work together in
developing and implementing further new tools for using and curating
Commons, to make the tasks of reviewing, deleting, categorizing,
uploading and using images easier."

On the last point, it's not dropped off our radar. Better media
patrolling and review tools are on the agenda for the new multimedia
engineering team which we're currently hiring for. Lowering the
barrier to flag media that have no realistic educational value (for
whatever reason) may help create a greater culture of shared
responsibility for curating Commons and keeping it useful, rather than
allowing personal interests to dominate small group discussions.
Thoughts on how software design could positively affect user behavior
and lead to increased diversity in decision-making are greatly
appreciated.

Is there a page on Meta already where we're coordinating overall
policy reform issues relating to the gender gap (whether WMF or
community policies) that should be considered?

Erik

--
Erik Möller