On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Two good posts.
>
> Bear in mind though that there is also a half-way house solution, whereby
> contributors would identify to the Foundation, but remain at liberty to use
> a pseudonymous user name.
>
> This would involve incredible overhead on the Foundation's role. It also
wouldn't provide any real protection for the individuals being harassed.

Let's be clear here; there are really two types of harassment we should be
concerned about. The first is, simply, illegal; where such harassment
occurs, and a complaint to the police results, the WMF has procedures in
place to provide (for example) IP addresses and other identifying
information on receipt of a valid request from a court, and these can then
percolate back through ISPs and such to identify the person responsible for
the statements or actions. All very simple, all very well-handled. I'd
argue our failing here is not in not having a mechanism for illegal
harassment, but simply a greater societal issue; internet harassment is,
while a crime, something with few benefits for the police to prosecute. We
can't solve for that; we could reduce the barrier a bit by cutting out the
middle man and being able to provide the police with the real-world
identity of contributors, sure, but again, that's going to be a ton of work.

The second type of harassment is motivated by, well, John Gabriel's Greater
Internet Fuckwad Theory.[1] Some people, to be cynical, behave well because
people see and judge them by their behaviour. As a result, when you get
anonymity or pseudonymity - more specifically, a type of pseudonymity that
does not overlap with their real-world reputation, or reputation in other
domains, you get people misbehaving, because their actions and the
consequences of those actions cannot follow them back to a reputation they
care about. It's as simple as that. Merely knowing that someone, somewhere,
knows who they are is not going to get these people to act differently;
there is no immediate action/reaction interaction between "them
misbehaving" and "this biting them on the backside".

[1] http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Identification might then be a prerequisite for certain community roles (as
> indeed it is today).

Then the change is...?