In the German Wikipedia a huge discussion has erupted over the question how to
change the Wikipedia page for Chelsea Manning and it's another textbook example
over how to drive women of Wikipedia. You can see the gory details here (in
German of course): http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diskussion:Bradley_Manning

I don't want to discuss this because it has already exhausted me to no end but
it's another example of “How not to deal with women” and especially “How not to
deal with transwomen” and it's important to understand the dynamics.

After her statement on Today, one user went over the article, changing it from
Bradley to Chelsea. When discussions about this started, two other users set up
a section "Namensänderung" that addressed some of the criticism (confusion over
names, before „Breanna“ was mentioned, how the support network has handled the
name question) and provided sources. They did this on an etherpad and then
moved the complete section into Wikipedia. By the way a modus operandi that I
have heard from several women, to minimize chances of their work being deleted
again.
One admin locked the article title to Chelsea Manning. Some friends told me how
happy they were to see the page presenting her in this way.

Over the night, though, the discussion exploded. Changes were made by the
minute, or rather, the article was reverted. Every try, to change something
back or to reason with people was made impossible. To keep up, you would have
had to be there, writing and fighting not only during the day but also the
night. That is just not possible for anybody except students.

Somebody mentioned that “commonly referred to names” were ok to use, so I tried
to get people to acknowledge that the final article will influence how Manning
is referred to in German speaking countries. No avail. Instead, the amount of
transphobic statements was disgusting. People wanting to check her therapy
progress, ID documents or in her pants. I cannot blame anybody who doesn't want
to deal with this sort of violence.

Every try to get people consider US laws and customs, which differ from much
stricter German transgender laws and guidelines, was totally ignored. Also,
guidelines by transgender organizations on how to write about transpeople were
ignored. Somebody brought up the fact that Manning hat entered the military in
a profession reserved for men at the time. Instead of asking an expert how to
deal with it, it was solely used as an argument. It was all just opinions,
instead of facts. While some people were still talking about knowledge, someone
else would start a vote and then the majority decided.
(In case you wonder: one way would be to keep referring to Chelsea as female
while noting that the profession was reserved for men at the time and she
entered presenting as male.)

Of course, people who identified as women or worse, transwomen, were shouted
down to no end and accused of being too emotional or having a political agenda.
Wanting to be treated with respect and having human rights is indeed a
political agenda but none to be insulted for. Also: one transwoman was not
egligible to vote, her account was too “new”. She had shut down her old
account, from before transition for several reason (transphobia being one).

The section "Namensänderung" was removed, too. There was no reason given and
Kathrin, the author, later told in a podcast how difficult it was for her to
find out, how and when this happened as it was removed with other sections. She
managed to get it restored with the help of an experienced Wikipedia admin.
Deleting a thoroughly researched section that is undoubtedly relevant reeks of
erasure, in this case of the existence of a transwoman. The podcast (in German)
is available here: http://www.iheartdigitallife.de/nrrrdz000020-mesh-up/

So. There's a group of mostly women, who poured their hearts into work,
defended it thoroughly and were insulted and shouted down. I honestly see no
way, how we are even in a position to get people to change guidelines anywhere
in Wikipedia. Plus, we're all exhausted.

Still, there are some ideas what to do:
- The guidelines on naming need to include how to deal with transpersons.
- As does a policy of using pronouns.
- If guidelines and policies are expanded on how to deal with marginalised
groups, their expertise has to be valued.
- Removal of sections should be easier to reconstruct

Once again: I don't want to discuss the issue at hand or even be forced to
defend who wrote what when. I also know how Wikipedia works and this
mailinglist is in no place to officially demand changes, yadayada. But this is
important. If it weren't for some very persistent people, the German entry
would not even mention the fact that Manning has asked to be referred to as a
woman.

All the best
Helga Hansen

PS: It has to be said that Lana Wachowskis entry was changed without much
kerfuffle, but then it's always been a “Wachowski brothers” entry that's now
“Wachowski siblings” and there's about one pronoun used that refers to “her”
and not “them”.

PPS: Please realize that I feel the need to ask not be treated to any
explanations because I have experienced that way too often.