I think the details of this dispute make it particularly prone to
emotional positions on both sides, not unlike many other naming
disputes (which have historically been some of the most intractable,
although usually for reasons of nationalism). Sue and others make a
good point about the existence of expertise on trans issues and gender
identity in academia, but... This is an editorial decision, despite
the academic and moral positions many have staked out.

Wikipedia is ultimately a reference work, and its principal mission is
to provide a useful reference to potential readers. In the tension
between "do no harm to living people" and "best serve our educational
mission", we often come down in favor of the mission. If you don't
think this is the case, you should re-familiarize yourself with the
many situations in which we partly ignore complaints by living people
and retain well-verified but potentially negative content. There is a
legitimate debate to be made about the judgment on where to draw the
line in each unique set of circumstances... but it isn't as clear cut
as some, including Sue, have asserted.

My opinion is that it makes sense to continue to host the article at
[[Bradley Manning]], and to avoid trying to preempt or influence
coverage in favor of using Chelsea Manning's preferred identity. I
believe that over time the weight of coverage will change in favor of
her preference, and our article can evolve accordingly. The
administrators who jumped at the chance to make controversial changes
without even an attempt at discussion or consensus have been justly
criticized, and while rigid policies that proscribe attempts to arrive
at a consensus judgment on a case by case basis is the wrong solution,
it is sensible to try address the poor conduct of several
administrators in this case.