Thursday, October 24  6pm

The Book History Colloquium at Columbia presents

JANICE RADWAY, Walter Dill Scott Professor of Communications,
Northwestern University

Girls, Zines, and their Afterlives:  On the Significance of Multiple
Networks and Itineraries of Dissent

523 Butler Library  Columbia University Morningside Campus, 535 West
114th Street

Preceded by a tour of the Barnard Zine Library at 5pm (meet in the
lobby of the Barnard Library, Lehman Hall, Barnard campus, 3009
Broadway)

Dissident and non-conforming girls and young women developed an
interest in what are now called “girl zines” through a number of
different routes, with a range of different interests, and at
different moments over the course of the last twenty years. This
social, material and temporal variability raises interesting and
important questions about whether “girl zines” should be thought of as
a unitary phenomenon and, correlatively, whether the girl zine
explosion should be thought of as an event, a social movement, a
conversation, a political intervention, or something else. Drawing on
oral history interviews with former girl zine producers as well as
with zine librarians, archivists, and commentators, this presentation
will raise questions about the recent history of feminism and its
relationship to other “new social movements” at a time of significant
economic, political, and technological change in the 1980s, 90s, and
into the 21st century.

Janice Radway is the author of Reading the Romance: Women, Patriarchy
and Popular Literature, and A Feeling for Books: The Book-
of-the-Month Club, Literary Taste, and Middle Class Desire. In
addition, Radway co-edited American Studies: An Anthology and Print in
Motion: The Expansion of Publishing and Reading in the United States,
1880-1945, which is Volume IV of A History of the Book in America. She
has served as the editor of American Quarterly, the official journal
of the American Studies Association.

Co-sponsored with the Barnard Zine Library, Barnard College

For more information on the Book History Colloquium at Columbia, see
http://library.columbia.edu/locations/rbml/exhibitions/2013-2014.html

--
Michael J. "Orange Mike" Lowrey

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food
and clothes."
     --  Desiderius Erasmus