I teach librarianship and have a course," Knowledge Management and
Wikipedia."  Most of my students are women. We discuss the Gendergap
and some students have made this a focus.

However, in reviewing the class results I found that men in the class
were more active than women. Several of the men did 3x the work
requested and were quite vocal about their enthusiasm--far more than
the women tho the students did the same assignments...and I certainly
made every effort to treat them equitably.

The only difference I could find was that the treatment by editors was
received with more angst by women than men. The women expressed
discouragement. The men expressed belligerence. I do think that a lot
of the drop off of women is hasty deletion.

One especially disturbing event was a student editing the entry on the
national library of Pakistan. Someone claimed she was violating
copyright and deleted her work. it was even deleted from the history
logs somehow.  I went to the library and added a number of citations
to strengthen the entry. These, too, were deleted claiming copyright.
Someone just DID NOT want that entry edited. This kind of experience
discourages people and in my teaching it seems to discourage women
more than men.

--Kathleen