On 9 June 2014 20:21, Nathan <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> * WIkidata has ~2080k items marked as people
>> * Of these, ~1893k have a "gender" property (91%)

> Can you define "item" in this context?

"Item" here is a single Wikidata entry:

http://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q320

which may correspond to one Wikipedia article, one hundred Wikipedia
articles, etc - but all on the same topic. (Potentially it may
correspond to *no* Wikipedia articles - it's not strictly required,
and in any case the source article may be deleted - but there's
unlikely to be a statistically large number of these just now)

> Do we have any comparable data points by which to evaluate our progress?
> Perhaps a similar breakdown of other reference works, or if there is some
> sort of summary data available about biographies written (using LOC data?),
> etc.

The new Oxford Dictionary of National Biography was about 10% female
when published in 2004, though this was skewed by a limitation to
include all entries from the original, including a lot of - to modern
eyes - very non-notable men.
http://oed.hertford.ox.ac.uk/main/images/stories/articles/baigent2005.pdf
(It's since crept up to ~11%)

Max has done some numbers based on gender assigned in VIAF entries, I
think, but I can't immediately find it. Ben Schmidt did something
similar based on first names of authors:
http://sappingattention.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/women-in-libraries.html

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk