Following up on this, after my question a week ago to Arbcom
candidates, it is now clear that there are *no* women standing for
election to Arbcom this year who are prepared to say they are a woman.
There is one openly non-heterosexual candidate standing, though the
candidate guides make it look unlikely he will get elected. The
feedback to my question seems to be that the majority do not
understand why a lack of open candidates might be perceived as an
issue, in fact in several places this has been interpreted as a threat
against anonymity and even been dismissed as trolling.

I corrected my comments at
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Arbitration_Committee/Noticeboard#Wikipedia:Arbitration.2FRequests.2FCase.2FInteractions_at_GGTF_closed>.

Don't forget, today is the last day you can vote and make a difference
to who will be on English Wikipedia's Arbcom next year. :-)

Fae

On 1 December 2014 at 19:24, Fæ <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 Dec 2014 19:15, "Nathan" <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure I love the idea of asking people to identify with a gender or
>> sexuality when they haven't done so already. If they have already done so,
>> then the question is superfluous. Better to ask them their position on the
>> actual issue, and if they think there is anything arbcom or the project as a
>> whole can do better.
>
> I understand that POV, however with only one woman candidate my question was
> deliberate. The de facto 'don't ask don't tell' policy is a poor excuse for
> failing properly to address the hostility that some of our contributors who
> are open about their gender or orientation have experienced.
>
> We should not have to be forced into the closet to edit Wikipedia, and if
> Arbcom members fear to be open, what hope is there for everyone else?
>
> Fae
>
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Fæ <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In the light of the contentious Gender Gap Task Force case, I have
>>> raised the following question for candidates in the current election:
>>> "I'm having difficulty visualizing how Arbcom today represents the
>>> diversity of our community. Would you like to identify yourself as a
>>> woman or LGBT, and explain what life experience and values you would
>>> bring to the committee when these become topics or a locus of
>>> dispute?"
>>>
>>> I will be voting for women and open LGBT candidates that bring some
>>> relevant and diverse life experience to committee, and against
>>> everyone else. I am sure they will get enough votes from the majority

Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.