From: Risker
Date: Wed, Dec 10, 2014 2:46 PM
To: Addressing gender equity and exploring ways to increase the participation
of women within Wikimedia projects.;
Subject:Re: [Gendergap] Women, cliques and Wikipedia's tyranny of
structurelessness

Carol said:

I do think there are structural things that can be imposed by the Wikimedia
Foundation to make reforms happen.  (Whether they'll choose the right reforms
and the right people to make them happen is a whole 'nother story.) But the
purpose of this thread is not to discuss specific reforms, but to focus on the
issue of male dominated Wikipedia cliques intent on keeping Wikipedia a place
where dominant males don't have to put up with these damned women (or "radical
feminist c*nts/tw*ats" in their minds) who keep yammering about making
Wikipedia a nice (or even safe!) place to edit. Discussion of some womens'
complicity in all this obviously is relevant too.

I'm not certain you've got it right here, Carol.  I think the cliques (which,
given the overall makeup of the project, are almost always male-dominated)
don't want to put up with *anyone*, male or female, that opposes their view.
I've seen female-dominated cliques on the project (rare as they are) behave
equally appallingly.  There are corners of the project where any interloper,
regardless of gender, is treated with the back of the hand by the "regulars",
whether those regulars are male or female.

A friend of mine recently reminded me of the language of "southern ladies" and
how they often use perfectly normal sounding phrases to cut people to the core.
 (A classic example would be "bless his heart" or, more emphatically, "bless
his dear little heart" - which to all the world reads like a slight eye-roll,
but is actually properly decoded as "that idiot" or (more emphatically) "that
*frickin* idiot".)  I've seen a lot of examples of that on Wikipedia, where
it's been so obvious that the written word *reads* civilly but is intended as a
cutting insult - in my experience, women editors use this method out of
proportion to the percentage of women on the project - and in some ways it is
an even greater insult because it's hard to persuade others that what look like
civil words are being used to convey quite the opposite meaning.

Risker/Anne