Don't know if this has been floated before - apologies if so - but:

Part of the problem we have is the sheer depth of ignorance among otherwise
well-intentioned community members.

This depth of ignorance is naturally shared by the people who play
leadership roles in the community. So we end up with stewards, arbitrators
and bureaucrats who potentially end up reinforcing the gender gap problem
because they just have no clue how the structure they maintain can
sometimes be a tool to exclude people.

How about offering some form of diversity training to functionaries to help
broaden perspectives and raise understanding? Obviously, from the point of
view of supporting them to do their difficult and fairly thankless roles
better, rather than beating them with diversity sticks.

It could happen (indeed, WMF could make it happen with some volunteer
input); could it help?

Chris