Well Jonathan, thanks for doing that! I am not an administrator, so I
couldn't do those things you mentioned, but I often think that in some
cases I wish I could do more than just "thank" the person. I know however
that I was very suspicious of anyone posting on my talk page in the
beginning, so I feel like the generic "thanks" is the best way to approach
someone the first time. If someone comes across my watchlist a few times
with I perceive as a "theme", then I will tip them about how to do basic
things like create a category on commons for related images, or fill out
the Wikidata item, or browse similar items in Reasonator.