Emilio - thanks for the reminder of that excellent page!

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Jane Darnell <jane...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a theory that it is much more difficult to create bios of females
> in whatever category due to the systemic academic bias aginst including
> women's biographies in the list of "reliable sources" mostly used in
> Wikipedia. I would be especially interested in comparison of male-female
> ration of bios in established dictionaries of biography and how these
> compare to Wikipedia, and of those, how many such bios were previously
> deleted on Wikipedia and recreated.

Agreed.  I think one of the most effective ways to counter this sort of
systemic bias is to find dictionaries of biography & encyclopedic histories
of women and digitize them / make them available to editors. Those sources
often do exist, though they are less commonly known or available online.
We have a decent reason for them to relicense those works, especially if we
can more actively help with the digitization as a result.

It would be a small but precise blow against systemic bias to say "the
following areas have historical & reporting bias; so we make extra effort
to find and recognize additional sources, and vary criteria in inverse
proportion to that bias".

Sam