On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Daniel and Elizabeth Case <
danc...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>   *>>The newspaper that did this and heavily moderated trolling comments
> had higher participate by women than most >>news >comment areas.*
> >Like. Like. LIKE.
>
> It never fails to amaze me that, for all the complaining people do about
> barely-moderated comment sections and the driveby hate speech they
> inevitably attract, how little is actually done (save making it necessary
> to have a Facebook account to make the comments, which is a slap in the
> face to those of us who, for whatever reason, don’t find it necessary to
> have one) to change that, especially in light of how little could be done
> to make a considerable improvement in the quality of the comments.

Having been somewhat involved in some of those decisions, active moderation
is *very *time-consuming, especially if you haven't baked it into the
expectations of commenters from day one. So it is an intimidating decision
to make, especially for sites where an angry comments section drives
pageviews (and where you can't measure the pageviews you lose because of
it).

> It makes you appreciate the sometimes heavy-handed approach of some of our
> Wikipedia administrators in some instances (*cough cough*).

Indeed. I suspect encouraging them to become more involved in a broader
range of situations is key to any forward progress we make, and with that
in mind am particularly looking forward to the results of the admin ally
training Inspire grant
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Gender-gap_admin_training>.

Luis

--