Hi everyone,

I am running currently a project in Switzerland dedicated to the gender gap.
More information here (in French)
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projet:Suisse/Biographies_des_femmes_en_Suisse
and here on the website of the University of Geneva:
http://www.unige.ch/rectorat/egalite/evenement/actualites/wikipedia/

I had an interesting encounter on Twitter with an established Wikipedian who
suggested that women bios and bios in general were not well received by the
wikipedian community because of admissibility issues.

This person also suggested that addressing gender gap could not be fulfilled by
just having women write bios, because this is addressing only the gender bias.
He said writing bios did not help women address more complicated and technical
subjects.

He wrote that limiting the gender gap to the gender bias is not enough.

Does anyone have a clue on this subject and/or informations, discussion feeds
and papers of academic research?

I had the idea that gender gap had two aspects: contributor gap and subject
gap. To me gender bias had more to do with the way sexist stereotypes
introduces differences in the way an article is written: for e.g. women bios
tend to be more focused on the marital life and less on the work achieved, less
linked to other articles. Therefore the two concepts cannot so easily be
separated and have a two way causality.

So I would really appreciate an exchange on this subject (sorry if it has been
addressed before), and of the ways we can address the problem in effect, and
not just in theory (especially when running an editing workshop or
edit-a-thon). Do we have somme sort of best practices somewhere? A group
devoted to this?

Kind regards,

Nattes à chat