> On 2 May 2018, at 11:49, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2 May 2018 at 10:33, Jan Iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 2 May 2018, at 11:09, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Top-posting.
>>>
>>> Surely any discussion which relates to personnel should take place on
>>> the private@ list?
>>
>> Surely not, a discussion/vote for a new chair is something that involves the
>> whole community and not only the PMC.
>
> AFAIK discussion on new chairs are held on private@
> Whilst the decision may affect the community, AFAIK a chair must be a
> member of the PMC (or an ASF member)

There are no rules saying that such a discussion has to be private@, and in all
the projects where I have been involved (some of them as chair) the discussions
and votes were public. I am aware that only votes from PMC members count, but
hearing opinions from everybody cannot do any harm.

I you recall, when I offered to be chair, I was not even committer, but that
was seen as a formality and I share that view.

Look at the board reports, we present:
## PMC changes:
- Jan Iversen was added to the PMC on Wed Mar 15 2017
## Committer base changes:
- Last committer addition was Jan Iversen at Thu Mar 16
<x-apple-data-detectors://1> 2017

That just goes to show, being practical sometimes are the better way.

>> It is correct questions relating to specific persons are kept in private,
>> typical examples are discussions about inviting a committer or more rarely a
>> discussion about the behaviour of a committer. Neither of these are the case
>> here, if you read private@ I made my intentions clear a while ago, and are
>> now putting my intentions into effect.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> If you refer to my description of the reasons, I have kept strictly to
>> public fact, and not expressed my personal opinion. If you feel I
>> overstepped the line somewhere in my mail and revealed not already public
>> information, please be specific.
>
> I am not saying that you have.
>
>> You cannot deny me the right to give reasons why I am leaving this project.
>> Actually your email just confirms my decision.
>
> That is not what I am saying at all.
> Sorry that you have got that impression.
>
> However I think it would be wrong to discuss a new chair on a public list.
> That's all I am saying.

You may of course think as you wish, but being the one who is retiring, I
believe it was my decision where to post the information. If you want to make
statements/discussions in private@ it is not a problem.

I am sure you have a reason for keeping this on private@, maybe you should
explain that on private@. As for me, I have nothing to hide, and prefer to
involve the whole community and have a public record.

rgds
Jan I