Bill LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I wonder how obligated an ISP is to stick to the DNS addresses listed
> with Internic?  Internic (www.internic.net) has a form to report
> problems with its listing.  All you have to do is enter your name and
> email address and the URL of the provider whose listing has problems.
> Would it do any good to report the problems?

No. the dns addresses registered with internic may have nothing
whatsoever to do with the DNS addresses used to resolve names for
customers.  This is perfectly normal.

addresses registered with internic are for authoritative DNS domains.
They need not coincide with addresses handed out by dhcp servers for
customers to use to resolve names (caching DNS).  Many dns experts
assert that it is much more secure to separate authoritative name
servers from resolving (caching) name servers.

Someone has been misinformed by a "tech" that the DNS servers change
every couple of days.  This tech doesn't understand the difference
between DHCP and DNS and the concept of DHCP lease renewal times
which, based on context, I think he is referring to.  And please
understand folks DHCP renewal does not mean your IP address will
change. It won't in all liklihood.  My IP address has never changed
since the @home switch.

I'd guess cox's resolving DNS servers were under DoS attack by
automated mechanisms so perhaps they changed IPs. Or perhaps they're
making infrastructure changes.  the only customers who would even
notice are those who statically configure their DNS settings.  It's
unfortunate that their phone staff is not sufficiently trained to
answer questions on this subject. (leave me alone will!)

There's NO reason for you to use Cox's DNS for resolving names if you
don't want to.  It's very easy to set up a caching only dns server.
And a good topic for the lug to discuss!

--
Scott Harney<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"...and one script to rule them all."