"Dustin Puryear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Speaking on a related issue, a problem I have with PGP is the inability to
> have a central skeleton key, ala S/MIME with Exchange, which I think offers
> that ability.

PGP is a different trust model.  At my work -- which is Navy and therefore
DOD site -- we use smart cards with PKI certs.  That's an expensive
infrastructure.  PGP/GPG is predicated on the web of trust model.

There are lots of arguments against a central skeleton key and rather
than rehash them here, I'd so go read a bunch of old cypherpunks messages
and Bruce Schneier, Lucky Green and other authors.  Now for corporate email
a skeleton key makes sense and I've seen some ways of getting that out of
gpg but all are hacks of a sort

>> A possible workaround for your case is a password protected https
>> site. send links to the recipients so authorized users can access the
>> protected information in a (more) secure fashion.
>
> Yes, but if the email is intercepted then the supposedly protected file can
> be downloaded. No net gain here. Okay, so what about authenticating the user
> first? Great. Just email them their key and.. oh wait. How do I protect the
> key in the email? Encrypt the email of course. So I just.. wait, I'm getting
> dizzy.

Yep. pre-shared keys/passphrases. presumably over a voice call.

> Okay, the above is half a joke, but half the truth. What we are thinking of
> doing now is using a Web-based download and mailing keys off using CDs.

No one ever said security was easy ;)

--
Scott Harney<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"