Linux and the open source movement has a jillion implementations of every kind
of software you can imagine. Take a gander at freshmeat or sourceforge and
you'll see what I mean. This is because people are free to write software,
and they do it, no matter whether it's needed or not :-)

Having said that, Linux is about choices. Don't like RedHate? Try Debian. Or
Gentoo, SuSE, Slack, LFS, or... (see distrowatch). Don't like Gnome? Maybe
KDE, Enlightenment or TWM is for you.

My point is this: there are enough software choices available to please just
about everyone. Everyone is free to use what they feel works best for them.
If someone thinks they have to run down someone else because of their choice
in software, that person is a fool and will lose friends quickly.

For instance, it's a known fact that I don't like Red Hat, and I have a number
of reasons for my opinion. However, if someone chooses to use it, for
whatever reason, I am cool with their choice. I'm not going to abuse them, no
matter how many faults I see in their chosen distro, nor now dumb I think
their decision is. In fact, if they ask me for help with it, I'll gladly give
them whatever assistance I can.

The advice I always give at NOLUG is to pick some software you like and LEARN
IT, and don't let anyone give you any grief over your choice.

--
Joey Kelly
http://joeykelly.net

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL