I've actually installed Gentoo from a stage1 tarball onto a PII-233. It runs
beautifully, but Andrew's warning is worth noting...if you don't use the
pre-built packages, you're in for several days (literally) of compiling and
checking on the computer every once in a while. On the bright side, when
it's done, it'll be about as snappy as you can get a PII-233 to go. Be sure
to set your cflags appropriately, so you get the most out of your install...

http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gccflags/flag_gcc3.html

that has some conservative flags, slightly optimized, and known to be
stable.

Justin