Dustin,

I actually wouldn't suggest running both servers in VMWare on the same
machine on the same connection.  In fact, I would only run the backup and
testing systems in VMWare Server (I.E., backup mail servers or secondary
and tertiary DNS).  And, for some reason, I thought you were running your
mail on an external dedicated server.  For an in-house email server, I
would suggest an externally located dedicated server if you want to run
your own server (I.E., I'm running on an unmanaged VPS from tektonic.net
for $15/month ).

In this case, I'm seeing that a quick search for "store and forward backup
email service" in Google (without the quotes) does give a list of
companies offering this service for as low as $20.00 to $30.00 per year
per domain (Google search link:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=store+and+forward+backup+email+service&btnG=Search
).  At that price, I'd almost try two separate companies, set one up as
secondary and another as tertiary, and see which one is the better one
over the course of a year, especially if you don't hear of many other
recommendataions here.

Hopefully, that points you in the right direction.

-Nick

On Tue, September 26, 2006 2:00 pm, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> Nicholas-
>
> Good points. However, we are looking for a service that simply accepts
any mail that we aren't around to grab, and which then forwards to us
when we are alive again (i.e., a store-and-forward service). As far as
running two mail servers on our own (on a single VMWare server for
example), that really reduces the value of having the backup MX in the
first place. If we lose our VMWare server, router, or T1, what then?

> ---
> Puryear Information Technology, LLC
> Baton Rouge, LA * 225-706-8414
> http://www.puryear-it.com
>
> Author:
>   "Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
>   "Spam Fighting and Email Security in the 21st Century"
>
> Download your free copies:
>   http://www.puryear-it.com/publications.htm
>

> Tuesday, September 26, 2006, 1:04:22 PM, you wrote:
>
>> The only thing that I can think of is how does the backup mail server
determine legitimite email addresses?  Or does it accept the email for
anything in the domain, then attempts to deliver that to the main
server?
>> Wouldn't this make it susceptible to email bounce attacks if someone
manages
>> to deliver emails to the backup server to non-existant accounts in your
domain?  I would guess one solution is to silently drop any bounced
emails
>> coming through the backup mail server.
>
>> One possible suggestion I can give you is setting up your own "store
and forward" backup server.  Especially if you have two IPs available
to use.
>> You can help keep costs down by using VMWare Server (or even Xen, if
you want to stay open source) to consolidate several
lower-priority/low-use servers onto one physical server.   Set up the
backup mail server to occaisionally retry forwarding the email to the
main server for some amount
>> of time, and setup the main mail server to synchronize the lists of valid
>> email addresses (accounts and aliases), so it can refuse to deliver
unknown
>> to addresses at the SMTP connection.  Setup this server as a
>> lower-priority
>> MX record in your DNS, and it should be good to go in case your main
server
>> goes down.  Granted, I haven't tried this yet, but it is one of my main
plans when I can get a second host up for my own domains, even if they
are
>> just personal hobby sites.
>
>> -Nick
>
>> On 9/26/06, Dustin Puryear <dustin at puryear-it.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As with many small companies, at times our mail server goes down
(repairs, etc) and we end up getting deferred mail destined for us.
That would be fine, but a lot of people (and automated processes)
don't like getting the Delayed Delivery messages.

>>> To counter that, we are interested in a backup mail service. There are
some offerings from companies that provide DNS service (e.g.,
>>> zoneedit.com). There may be others. Does anyone have suggestions,
comments, or criticisms about these services?