Ok, you said your budget is PRETTY firmly limited. So just in case you
decide to spend a little more, this is what you can get at
www.dell.com/outlet.

I bought a refurbished Inspiron last year for $629 (shipping included) and I
love it. Check the outlet site every 15 mins or so. You might find something
for less than $449.

Inspiron 1501
(System Identifier: FX8P1WDE)

    * Inspiron 1501 Notebook: Mobile AMD Sempron 3500+ (1.8GHz/512KB)
    * Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic

System Price    :    $449.00

Genuine Windows Vista Home
512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (1 DIMM)
60 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
ATI Radeon  Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemoryCertified Refurbished
Certified Refurbished Base
Inspiron 1501 Notebook: Mobile AMD Sempron 3500+ (1.8GHz/512KB)
24X CD RW/DVD Combo Drive
Corel Paint Shop Pro XI - Advanced photo editing
Microsoft Works 8.5
15.4 WXGA Notebook Screen
4 Cell Battery
Network Interface Card