Oh I see, I must have been thinking of RockLinux. Sounds good, except that I
do not have the servers to distribute it from and I do have not used Gentoo.

----------------------------------------> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:19:07
-0500> From: gentooman at gmail.com> To: general at brlug.net> Subject: Re:
[brlug-general] new Distro>> Patrick,> Your do not distribute a Gentoo system.
You are simply using the distribution> to build your own distribution. You
could use anything else really> but Gentoo is designed for this purpose.>> You
compile the entire system with the options of your choosing such as> target
architecture or kde support, just like Debian does. Then you distribute> the
binary packages. It will proabably install much faster than just about> any
distro that compiles more generic options options since the tarballs will be>
smaller without doubt; the optional code such as gnome and kde support simply>
does not exist. An it should not if nobody is ever going to use gnome or kde
in> such a system.>> You will need a server to distribute the packages and
hopefully,> the whole world will want the distribution so a hell of a lot of>
bandwith will be a must.>> I once recompiled the OS of an Unix based appliance.
The installation process> used to take about 25-30 minutes. It is now down to
12-15 minutes. This> was not done with Gentoo but rather FreeBSD ports system
but the concept> is exactly the same.>> I hope that clarifies my earlier
statement.>> take care,>> Alvaro Zuniga>> Patrick P wrote:>>>> We ll we did not
want to go with a system that required everything to be compiled during
installation as that would take waay to long to suit the average user on an
older system. Debian will boot on a 486 and our system as it is put together
now uses 55Mb of RAM until you start opening packages. It hass been considered
to compile the packages for each processor, but we are not doing that in the
beginning due to time and bandwidth constraints. Debian does not provide
architecture specific compilation so we would need our own system of ftp
mirrors for everyone to install the operating system. At the moment everything
is installed from the Debian mirror system. The functionality we are trying to
provide is that of a workststin, along with some multimedia apps for those who
want them.>>