Fernando Vilas wrote:
> On Friday 12 October 2007 09:45:10 Ronnie Gilkey wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm having some issues with a Benchmark DLT1 tape drive.  What's
>> happening is that a daily backup of about 20 GB is taking about 9 hours
>> to run.  This is way too long for that little bit of data.  I've checked
>> system usage throughout that period with sar reports and the system
>> maintains a level of about 96% idle, so the system isn't busy.  For most
>> tape modern tape drives 20 GB should take about an hour to backup.  I've
>> also checked dmesg for errors, there aren't a lot just these:
>>
>> st0: Block limits 2 - 16777214 bytes.
>> st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x2800, Current st09:00: sense key
>> Not Ready
>> Additional sense indicates Logical unit not ready,initializing cmd.
>> required st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key Not Ready
>> Additional sense indicates Logical unit not ready,initializing cmd.
>> required st0: Error 250400f4 (sugg. bt 0x20, driver bt 0x5, host bt 0x4).
>> st0: Error 250400f4 (sugg. bt 0x20, driver bt 0x5, host bt 0x4).
>> st0: Error on write filemark.
>> st0: Error 250400f4 (sugg. bt 0x20, driver bt 0x5, host bt 0x4).
>>
>> Has anyone else had any problems with this type of tape drive?  Any
>> suggestions?  I've posted the scsi_info & sdparm output below.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ronnie
>>

> I've seen errors like that when a card or cable is seated well enough to get
> detected, but not function properly.  I think I fixed it using "a bigger
> hammer", but I have a cheap SCSI setup from 1996, and power cables that
> occasionally vibrate loose.
>
> Also, uname -a?  There may be a fix in a newer kernel.

I'll give the re-seating a shot.  The system is a Dell bundle (the
system came w/ RHEL3 and the tape drive), and the kernel's 2.4.xx (not
too old).  And I'll check the change logs for driver updates.

Thanks,

Ronnie

--
Puryear Information Technology, LLC
Baton Rouge, LA * 225-706-8414

Visit http://www.puryear-it.com/publications.htm to download your free
copies of:

 "Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
 "Spam Fighting and Email Security in the 21st Century"