Cell towers crap out first with Voice, not with data.... I guess data is easier to queue....  :-)
Text messaging worked a lot longer than Voice.... And that's when majority learned that useful function in mobile world.

I remember the first Mardi Gras after the cell phone boom arrived to US. I had no problems communicating at the same time people were complainin that their calls can not go through......   (I also expected that to happen......)

In most cases it is the incompetence of the people in the stores provisioning the phones/plans rather than technology which fails.  I have been a victim of that about 80% of the time.....  Latest case being my iPhuck activation.....   After they screwed up my wireless account yet again, it took me 6 hours on the phone over 3 separate days before it was activate. They could have done it the way I told them to do it, but no.....

Petri

-ray wrote:

Several times this week, people have said "we should have some of those cell cards for our laptops in case we lose internet!".   I reminded them that the cell towers were the first thing to crap out during Katrina.

Hopefully AT&T learned some things, and the infrastructure is better now than it was 3 years ago.

ray