Hello all,

It seems like I may have put a pretty short intro out there at first.  I have
been working with computers for a shorter time than most in the technology
field.  Around 2001 I started out using hacks on an x-box and learned about
open source from there.
Once I had hacked a few different x-boxes for friends I set up my own Suse
machine to try to get the hang of using Linux.  Once I got the machine set up,
I began to look into different distros such as Ubuntu and some Red Hat.  At
this time, I was not working in the industry and was pushing myself every day
to go to work in different areas of the construction field.  A few years back I
was in a car accident and home to stay with an old friend from Baton Rouge
(Toni Frank) in Austin.  I only mention his name because I think he may have
been a member of this group when he lived in Baton Rouge.  While I was healing
up, I began studying more in depth into networking and system administration.
By the time I was healthy, I moved back home and began searching for work in
the technology field.  I knew I would be more fulfilled in my career if I found
something I enjoyed.  As luck would have it, I landed a job with Antares and
couldn’t be happier.  I get the chance to work on multiple systems and
environments, and the learning never stops.  When I was asked about setting us
up a backup solution for our Baton Rouge and New Orleans offices my first
instinct was to turn to Linux.  So I took a de-commissioned server from a group
of computers we were going to recycle and I put together a stable machine using
centos to handle our backups running r-sync through delta copy.  Needless to
say, the boss was impressed with the fact we didn’t have to buy any new
hardware.  I am admittedly very green when it comes to working with the CLI,
but I am very resourceful, and am not ashamed of asking questions.  I joined
this group to be more active in the Baton Rouge tech community, and to learn
alongside like-minded individuals.  Hope everyone has a great day!

Sincerely,

Drew Clarke