Shannon <shifl...@virginia.edu> writes:
> I understand that in XML and XQuery an ampersand needs to be written
> as &amp;, but I need a constructed node to be output with a literal
> "&" string, but it's being translated into &amp; -- The following tag
> in an XQY prolog:
>
> <object>
> <embed flashvars="{concat("zoomifyImagePath=img/", $filename,
> "&zoomifySplashScreen=0")}" src="ZoomifyViewer.swf" menu="false"
> pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer";
> type="application/ x-shockwave-flash" width="800" height="500"
> name="ZoomifyViewer"></ embed>
> </object>
>
> I have tried encoding and escaping.  Please, is there a workaround?

Are you sure that putting the escaped & in there is a problem?

If you send

  <embed flashvars="zoomifyImagePath=img/someFn&amp;zoomifySplashScreen=0"

to a browser, it should interpret that attribute value as

  "zoomifyImagePath=img/someFn&zoomifySplashScreen=0"

which is presumably what the plugin wants. If you could persuade the
generated HTML to include

  <embed flashvars="zoomifyImagePath=img/someFn&zoomifySplashScreen=0"

you'd be relying on quirky parsing at best.

OTOH, maybe what I've just said applyes to XHTML but not HTML. Still,
it might be worth testing...

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--