Pulling strictly from memory, if you let AppBuilder create the sample database for you, it'll also automatically create all of the indexes for you as well--effectively nipping this problem in the bud.

However, if you fail to take that route initially, then backtracking for me caused problems, too: The last time I tried to deploy the sample Oscars app, I got a similar message--something generic about an error when attempting to deploy, so something unexpected happens when going through this process. I will need to open a Support case on it. Kinda in the same boat you're in at the moment.